Preserving Old Photos

  • Cecelia
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
      Can someone tell me what kind of plastic you are not supposed to use
      to put your photos in to preserve them? I heard it, somewhere, but
      can't find that again.
      I have many old photos that I am scanning and trying to identify. I
      know that they need to be removed from old photo albums and
      cardboard frames with acid in them, kept from light, etc. And also
      that most of the plastic sheets in photo albums today are not good.
      I went to the local history repository and they showed me how they
      are preserving things from old albums, and I have experience with
      things from framing my own art work and teaching art for many years.
      I had thought about using some plastic boxes, with tight covers, at
      least for a while, as I sort the photos. I also have some of the
      archival boxes to use.
      However, during Katrina, a cousin lost a lot of his family photos
      and information when his house flooded. His mother had written a
      lot of information in a family Bible. All that she had written
      washed away in the floodwaters, but the print in the Bible is okay.
      The things that did survive were papers that his mother had placed
      in zip lock bags.
      After that, I'm really concerned about preserving, and making copies
      of pictures, putting them on CDs, and spreading them around in
      various places. That way, if something happens, someone else might
      have a copy and they won't be totally lost.
      That's what made me think of putting things in plastic boxes.
      I'm not in an area that floods, but I did get caught in a flood in
      the next town a couple of years ago. Not nearly the scale of the
      hurricanes, but it happens. We also lost some photos when hail bent
      a pipe in the roof and the roof leaked into the closet where we had
      old photos. Computers crash, fires and floods happen, so I'm trying
      to be prepared!
      And, too, so many of the old pictures, letters, and all those
      treasured things are fading and beginning to crumble.
      I'm the next oldest person in my family. The oldest one is now in a
      nursing home, and is basically unresponsive, except occasionally.
      So,it's up to me to take care of these things and identify all these
      photos, write the family story.
      Thanks for any help.
      Cecelia in Texas
    • Ruth Harvey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        Hi:

        These are two sources I use for archival stuff:

        http://www.exposuresonline.com/index.jsp

        http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping

        Here are a couple more I got from Google. I will have to check them out!

        http://www.archivalmethods.com/

        http://www.globalgenealogy.com/archival/

        http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/

        And last but not least, an article I keep bookmarked:

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/12/AR2006041200578.html?referrer=email

        At least it will be a start.
      • Susan B. Farmer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
          Quoting Cecelia <cheinric@...>:

          > Can someone tell me what kind of plastic you are not supposed to use
          > to put your photos in to preserve them? I heard it, somewhere, but
          > can't find that again.

          no vinyl or PVC. Food-Grade polyethylene is what I use for some things
          (aka Zip lock baggies) -- and I *think* it's what most of your archival
          plastics are.

          There are more than a few places that offer archival storage materials.
          Light Impressions is the one that comes immediately to mind.
          http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping

          susan
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          University of Tennessee
        • ngchesnutt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
            I highly recommend Light Impressions for their archival materials. I do
            not think you want to use plastic containers because of the fumes they
            release. Just my opinion, check it out. I am also faced with trying to
            have old photographs copied and spread out among family members.

            and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
          • HDM SHORT
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
              You can use storage material that is archival which is usually polycarbonate.
              Harry

              "Susan B. Farmer" <sfarmer@...> wrote:
              Quoting Cecelia :

              > Can someone tell me what kind of plastic you are not supposed to use
              > to put your photos in to preserve them? I heard it, somewhere, but
              > can't find that again.

              no vinyl or PVC. Food-Grade polyethylene is what I use for some things
              (aka Zip lock baggies) -- and I *think* it's what most of your archival
              plastics are.

              There are more than a few places that offer archival storage materials.
              Light Impressions is the one that comes immediately to mind.
              http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping

              susan
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • ngchesnutt@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
                When I said be careful about storing things in plastic I was thinking
                in terms of the plastic boxes you can buy at Wal-Mart, etc. I use Print
                File pages for negatives and for prints. I am putting together archival
                scrapbooks for each of my three children and have to decide which one
                gets the archival box with the original prints. I also have the copy
                negatives and should get them put in a safe deposit box at the bank.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Quoting ngchesnutt@...:

                  > When I said be careful about storing things in plastic I was thinking
                  > in terms of the plastic boxes you can buy at Wal-Mart, etc. I use Print
                  > File pages for negatives and for prints. I am putting together archival
                  > scrapbooks for each of my three children and have to decide which one
                  > gets the archival box with the original prints. I also have the copy
                  > negatives and should get them put in a safe deposit box at the bank.

                  That's *why* I have a safe deposit box. The only things that I own that
                  I consider irreplaceable are my negatives .....

                  susan
                  -----
                  Susan Farmer
                  sfarmer@...