Filters

  • HDM SHORT
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2006
      Hi Group:

      Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the color in my digital photos?

    • jdacrobat
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2006
        I think Picasa (Free) is pretty cool for that, and really fast to add
        effects( color,saturation, blur....)Basically you can enhance the
        quality of your pics whithin seconds. you can get it at
        http://www.google2010.com/picasa
        --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, HDM SHORT <hdmshort@...> wrote:

        > Hi Group:
        >
        > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve
        the color in my digital photos?
        > Thanks,
        > Harry

      • the Crows
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2006
          The only filter I have ever used for color work was 1A skylight. For
          film it reduces the effects of UV _and_ protects the lens. Most color
          enhancement can be done with software. Evan

          HDM SHORT wrote:

          > Hi Group:
          >
          > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the
          > color in my digital photos?
          > Thanks,
          > Harry

        • Chuck Linsley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2006
            HDM SHORT wrote:
            > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the
            > color in my digital photos?

            Typical digital cameras are not really designed to accept filters
            over the lens. This makes using filters impractical for most people.
            Correction in software is much easier, and in most cases will give
            results that are just as good. However, if you are fortunate enough
            to have a digital camera that can accept filters, read on.

            Back in the old days of film, there were correction filters for using
            daylight film in tungsten light, tungsten film in daylight and any
            film in fluorescent light. These days, most digital cameras make these
            corrections automatically. (Or try to; the light from most fluorescent
            tubes is so whacko that it is hard to get really good color no matter
            what you do.)

            If the camera is not doing a good job on the automatic setting, there
            may be a manual override. The manual setting probably offers a choice
            of daylight/flash, tungsten and fluorescent; there may or may not be a
            "custom" option. If there is, very slight adjustments to the custom
            settings is probably the easiest way to get what you want.

            Enhancing filters are more subtle than the correction filters. By far
            the most common is the 1A "skylight" filter, which is a very pale pink
            and gives slightly warmer skin tones. In theory, at least, one can also
            get pale red, green, blue, magenta, yellow and cyan filters to make
            your own custom adjustments. However these are hard to find and would
            probably have to be special-ordered.

            A polarizing filter can be useful. Depending on the time of day and
            other factors, it can dramatically deepen a blue sky without affecting
            other colors in the picture. It can also be very useful in removing
            reflections, say from eyeglasses or in copying framed pictures. This
            is one situation in which being able to use a filter on the camera is
            a real advantage; there is no software equivalent other than tedious
            manual retouching, and there is a good chance you still won't be able
            to get rid of the reflection.

            --
            Chuck Linsley
            linsley@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 23, 2006
              You failed to state what make and model of camera that you have. The Canon
              Power shot seiries have an adapter ring which will handle about any of your
              old slr filters -----
              > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the
              > color in my digital photos?
              > Thanks,
              > Harry

            • HDM SHORT
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2006
                My Camera is a Nikon D-70.
                Harry

                "Bill D. Russell" <wrussell@...> wrote:
                You failed to state what make and model of camera that you have. The Canon
                Power shot seiries have an adapter ring which will handle about any of your
                old slr filters -----
                > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the
                > color in my digital photos?
                > Thanks,
                > Harry

                Yahoo! Groups Links