Re: [genphoto] Digest Number 679

  • Ken Allen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      Daryl,

      Scan the photos at the resolution that provides you with the detail
      that wish to obtain or a resolution that your computer is capable of
      handling. 300 dpi is not a standard it's an option.

      This is my business and the resolution we use depends on the project.
      When we are trying to capture the details of small good quality
      prints (Cartes de Visite, Cabinet Cards, Photographic postcards, or
      modern prints) and computer storage budget was appropriate we have
      scanned the at 600ppi, 800 even 1200ppi in some instances. Scanning
      at higher resolutions provides many benefits, but you must plan for
      the amount of data that you will create. You can quickly fill up your
      local hard drive.

      If you would like I can send you additional information off-line...
      just let me know.

      BTW, here are samples of 300ppi Vs. 800ppi... if this list accepts
      attachments:

      Ken Allen
      Image Conservator, Inc.
      www.savethephotos.com