looking for a good Photo Scanner

  • Tom Knox
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2006
      What is the current recommendation:

      I am looking to purchase a scanner, high quality,
      high-speed, high-res, with feeder (?).
      I've got a client with LARGE quantities of photos, different sizes -
      the client will pay for the scanner, and I get to keep it,
      plus payment for time/materials.
      (Could such a scanner also reasonably do slides well?)

      - Tom Knox
    • Susan B. Farmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2006
        Quoting Tom Knox <tomknox2001@...>:

        > What is the current recommendation:
        >
        > I am looking to purchase a scanner, high quality,
        > high-speed, high-res, with feeder (?).

        It won't have a feeder that I know of, but my personal favorites are
        scanners made my Umax. (www.umax.com) We have an old one in the
        department lab, and it scans *much* better than the "consumer grade"
        new HPs that they bought. Ours has a transparency lid so that you can
        scan negatives and slides.

        http://www.umax.com/scanners/index.jsp?cate=Scanners%3A+Professional+models

        Susan
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • Ken Allen
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2006
          Hi Tom,

          Look at the Epson 4990, I have one, and it is a very popular sub
          $1,000 scanner for photographic prints. It does not have a feeder,
          but I would be careful using a feeder unless you are talking about
          same size good condition RC prints. The 4990 does an OK job at
          scanning slides. That said you will get better image quality from
          slides if you use a dedicated scanner like the Nikon 5000ED, it has
          an atuo film loader as an accessory.

          I have no affiliation with Nikon or Epson and do not benefit from
          recommending their products.

          Best,

          Ken Allen
          Image Conservator, Inc.
          www.savethephotos.com

          On Mar 24, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Tom Knox wrote:

          > What is the current recommendation:
          >
          > I am looking to purchase a scanner, high quality,
          > high-speed, high-res, with feeder (?).
          > I've got a client with LARGE quantities of photos, different sizes -
          > the client will pay for the scanner, and I get to keep it,
          > plus payment for time/materials.
          > (Could such a scanner also reasonably do slides well?)
          >
          > - Tom Knox

        • Linda DeB
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25, 2006
            I have an Epson 4180 and it does a great job - especially slides. IT does
            not have a auto feeder though.

            Linda

            Look at the Epson 4990, I have one, and it is a very popular sub
            $1,000 scanner for photographic prints. It does not have a feeder,
            but I would be careful using a feeder unless you are talking about
            same size good condition RC prints. The 4990 does an OK job at
            scanning slides. That said you will get better image quality from
            slides if you use a dedicated scanner like the Nikon 5000ED, it has
            an atuo film loader as an accessory.

            I have no affiliation with Nikon or Epson and do not benefit from
            recommending their products.

            Best,

            Ken Allen
            Image Conservator, Inc.
            www.savethephotos.com

            On Mar 24, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Tom Knox wrote:

            > What is the current recommendation:
            >
            > I am looking to purchase a scanner, high quality,
            > high-speed, high-res, with feeder (?).
            > I've got a client with LARGE quantities of photos, different sizes -
            > the client will pay for the scanner, and I get to keep it,
            > plus payment for time/materials.
            > (Could such a scanner also reasonably do slides well?)
            >
            > - Tom Knox

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "genphoto" on the web.