Re: hand placement

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      genphoto@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > <>From: Steve Knoblock <knoblock_private@...>
      >
      > I forwarded this question to Fritz Kirsch, a period photographer
      > active in reenactments for over twenty years, who responeded with ". .
      > . I know of no
      > codified significance for hand placement in photographs from mid
      > nineteenth century other than what I have explained above."

      Steve,

      This is also what I have observed and learned from my collecting
      experience. I think that it was more of an "artistic" expression. The
      symbol of the sitters' relationship bonds, whether natural, spur of the
      moment or chosen by the photographer is a fascinating part of
      nineteenth-century photograph collecting. I was once told by a long-time
      collector that A. Bogardus (New York City) was a master of hand placement.

      Bill Christen

      --
      gwjchris@...