RE: File Naming Conventions for Family Photos

  • Andi Windham
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
      As a person trained in library science and archives, in my opinion, the file
      name should not be the means by which a photo is searched for and accessed.
      I think that some sort of database, whether Excel, Access, or otherwise, is
      needed to have searchable and retrievable images. File names are simply too
      limited to allow for effective searching and retrieval. As RootsGuy said on
      the blog, placing the information in the EXIF data of the file would be
      ideal. Does anyone on the list use a program for searching EXIF data that
      they would recommend?

      I also use accession numbers for my photo collection. When I process each
      photograph (which includes scanning and permanent archival storage) I write
      a five digit accession number on the back of the photo, which I also use as
      the file name for the digital image. When I do digital retouching, I add an
      "a" to the end of the file name to indicate that the image has been altered
      from the original. I don't know if it's a "best practice," but it works for
      me. It is also the method used by the Austin History Center, which is where
      I got the idea (except for the "a" part- that was my idea.) (For example,
      see: <http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/ahc/lost/lost_butler.htm>.) I can't
      say that I have a good method for searching and retrieval yet. I would love
      to hear about other's methods on searching and retrieval of digital images.

      Andi Windham
      www.andicestors.com