Re: [genphoto] File Naming Conventions for Family Photos

  • Susan B. Farmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
      Quoting David Sylvester <Roots@...>:

      > File Naming Conventions for Family Photos
      >
      > Sue Phillips asked a question this week. I do not know of a good
      > answer, but I suspect that some of the newsletter readers can help.
      > Here is her question:
      >
      > I'd like to know about file naming conventions "best practices" for
      > approximately 250 JPG / TIF images of assorted ancestors.

      for standard photos, they get a code: rollMONTHyear-frame for example
      7oct05-23 or 4apr85-04

      My genealogy photos actually have both -- the code refers to the
      negative strip where the original photo was copied. Once they're
      scanned, I"ve been giving them Informative Names like bakerWinferdRuth
      or something similar with the surname first.
      I use a program called Br-Photoarchiver
      http://www.br-software.com/photoarchiver.html
      to keep track of things. YOu can keyword ID all the photos in your
      collection. I love it -- no connection, satisfied user.

      Susan
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      University of Tennessee
    • Andi Windham
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
        As a person trained in library science and archives, in my opinion, the file
        name should not be the means by which a photo is searched for and accessed.
        I think that some sort of database, whether Excel, Access, or otherwise, is
        needed to have searchable and retrievable images. File names are simply too
        limited to allow for effective searching and retrieval. As RootsGuy said on
        the blog, placing the information in the EXIF data of the file would be
        ideal. Does anyone on the list use a program for searching EXIF data that
        they would recommend?

        I also use accession numbers for my photo collection. When I process each
        photograph (which includes scanning and permanent archival storage) I write
        a five digit accession number on the back of the photo, which I also use as
        the file name for the digital image. When I do digital retouching, I add an
        "a" to the end of the file name to indicate that the image has been altered
        from the original. I don't know if it's a "best practice," but it works for
        me. It is also the method used by the Austin History Center, which is where
        I got the idea (except for the "a" part- that was my idea.) (For example,
        see: <http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/ahc/lost/lost_butler.htm>.) I can't
        say that I have a good method for searching and retrieval yet. I would love
        to hear about other's methods on searching and retrieval of digital images.

        Andi Windham
        www.andicestors.com