Re: [genphoto] Digest Number 663

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2006
      On 21 Jan 2006 14:31:10 -0000, you wrote:

      >I also like the freedom of using plain old AA batteries, rechargeable or
      >throw-away, instead of the rechargeable battery supplied with the camera,
      >but was told that this battery would last much longer between needing to be
      >charged. Opinions?

      We bought a Nikon Coolpix 4600. This camera has an extensive and
      fairly easy to use menu system for accessing camera features. I
      dislike the focusing issues it has, but this class of digital cameras
      appears to have share the same issue from the reviews I have read.
      What truly annoys me is this camera was designed to run on only two AA
      batteries. My old Olympus, which quit after a few years, used four AA
      batteries. Two were for the camera and the other two powered the
      flash. I hardly ever ran out of battery power. The Nikon always
      charges the flash first and if it senses the batteries are low, locks
      the camera up. Needless to say this happens all the time because the
      flash unnecessarily drains the batteries shared by the camera and the
      flash.

      Consumer demand is driving digital cameras into smaller and smaller
      packages. I can hardly hold the Nikon safely, it is so small. The
      buttons are impossibly small and uncomfortable to use. The center
      navigation button should have been concave, but it is convex and
      small. I am always clicking the wrong button or having to use my
      fingernail to push it.

      If I were buying again, I would pay attention to how many batteries
      the camera uses and choose one with four AA batteries. I am wary of
      rechargeable battery packs. They generally have a limited lifetime and
      are often proprietary.

      SmartMedia has pretty much fallen by the wayside. Most use SD or CF
      cards these days. A lot of my SM cards eventually failed.

      Steve
    • HDM SHORT
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2006
        I have a Optio 5 mp and I get 200 photos per charge on a small battery. Batteries have improved a lot in the last 2 years.

        Harry

        Steve Knoblock <knoblock_private@...> wrote:
        On 21 Jan 2006 14:31:10 -0000, you wrote:

        >I also like the freedom of using plain old AA batteries, rechargeable or
        >throw-away, instead of the rechargeable battery supplied with the camera,
        >but was told that this battery would last much longer between needing to be
        >charged. Opinions?

        We bought a Nikon Coolpix 4600. This camera has an extensive and
        fairly easy to use menu system for accessing camera features. I
        dislike the focusing issues it has, but this class of digital cameras
        appears to have share the same issue from the reviews I have read.
        What truly annoys me is this camera was designed to run on only two AA
        batteries. My old Olympus, which quit after a few years, used four AA
        batteries. Two were for the camera and the other two powered the
        flash. I hardly ever ran out of battery power. The Nikon always
        charges the flash first and if it senses the batteries are low, locks
        the camera up. Needless to say this happens all the time because the
        flash unnecessarily drains the batteries shared by the camera and the
        flash.

        Consumer demand is driving digital cameras into smaller and smaller
        packages. I can hardly hold the Nikon safely, it is so small. The
        buttons are impossibly small and uncomfortable to use. The center
        navigation button should have been concave, but it is convex and
        small. I am always clicking the wrong button or having to use my
        fingernail to push it.

        If I were buying again, I would pay attention to how many batteries
        the camera uses and choose one with four AA batteries. I am wary of
        rechargeable battery packs. They generally have a limited lifetime and
        are often proprietary.

        SmartMedia has pretty much fallen by the wayside. Most use SD or CF
        cards these days. A lot of my SM cards eventually failed.

        Steve

        Yahoo! Groups Links