Digital camera repair?

  • Patricia A. Baber
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 16, 2006
      I have an Olympus C-700 digital camera. I've had it for 3-4 years, so it
      isn't new. However, I've been very satisfied with it. Today I dropped it,
      while off on a research trip. Now it will not even come on. Is it worth
      having it repaired? I checked on eBay and I could buy another one for
      probably $50-75, but if I"m going to buy a new camera, I will probably buy
      one with a higher mp rating.
      Is there anyone on the list that does repairs? I haven't called Olympus
      yet, but I'm expecting to to be rather expensive to have it repaired by
      them.

      Second question, if I do buy another camera, do any of the newer ones take
      the SmartMedia cards that I used in the C-700?

      Thanks for opinions and insight.

      Pat Baber

    • HDM SHORT
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2006
        Pat:
        Its time to upgrade to a new camera. One on eBay for $50.00 may be some ones junk. 5 to 6 megs resolution are available at reasonable prices now. Shop and find a camera you like. Smart media and Secure Digital cards are in many cameras now and both work well. Buy a camera that is easy to use. Watch out for stores that sell cameras refurbished to manufactures standards. There should be a note to this edffect with the camera that is obvious to the eye.
        Bye,
        Harry Short

        "Patricia A. Baber" <pbaber@...> wrote:
        I have an Olympus C-700 digital camera. I've had it for 3-4 years, so it
        isn't new. However, I've been very satisfied with it. Today I dropped it,
        while off on a research trip. Now it will not even come on. Is it worth
        having it repaired? I checked on eBay and I could buy another one for
        probably $50-75, but if I"m going to buy a new camera, I will probably buy
        one with a higher mp rating.
        Is there anyone on the list that does repairs? I haven't called Olympus
        yet, but I'm expecting to to be rather expensive to have it repaired by
        them.

        Second question, if I do buy another camera, do any of the newer ones take
        the SmartMedia cards that I used in the C-700?

        Thanks for opinions and insight.

        Pat Baber

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Patricia A. Baber
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2006
          Thanks for your answers to my question.
          I called Olympus repair department and they wanted $160 just to look at the
          camera.
          I can buy one on eBay for about $50, but I was hesitant to do that.

          Ended up buying a Panasonic FZ5. It has 12x optical zoom and 5mp with a
          Leica lens.
          Has anybody else used this camera? If so, how do you like it?
          I'm not sure I like it yet, and may wish I had bought the Sony similar to
          it.
          The Panasonic uses an SD card. My laptop computer has a slot that it fits,
          but the computer freezes up when I try to open the images. It read my old
          SmartMedia cards just fine.
          I also like the freedom of using plain old AA batteries, rechargeable or
          throw-away, instead of the rechargeable battery supplied with the camera,
          but was told that this battery would last much longer between needing to be
          charged. Opinions?

          Thanks for your help. I still have a couple of weeks to decide if I want to
          keep this one or try another one.

          Pat Baber

        • wilburd@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 20, 2006
            Smart media cards must be a thing of the past. cannot find a new in any
            store, lucky I have 5 or 6 for my Fuji camera. would suggest you
            contact camera home web sight, if not repairable they will probably
            offer a refurbished one which in my opinion is a very good investment.
            At this time I have 3 two of which are over 4 yrs old.

            Wilbur D. Russell
            1015 South 4th
            Leavenworth Ks.66048-3410
            Pho 913/651-5662 QUE SERA SERA