Filters

  • HDM SHORT
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 18, 2005
      Greetings:

      Could some one tell me if I should use a diffusion or soft focus filter to shoot portraits?
      Thanks to all who have helped me with my postings over the year!

      Harry Short

    • captainwierd2003
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2006
        --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, HDM SHORT <hdmshort@s...> wrote:

        > Greetings:
        >
        > Could some one tell me if I should use a diffusion or soft focus
        filter to shoot portraits?
        > Thanks to all who have helped me with my postings over the year!
        >
        > Harry Short

        A lot depends on the mood you wish to set with the photo.
        Softfocus/diffusion can be used with shots of females and babies to
        accentuate the "softness" of their being or to reduce/eliminate age
        lines. Look at the individual in your mind's eye and try to visualize
        how you do or would like to see him/her.
        To me, a portrait is an artistic statement about the subject. 100
        years from now, will someone be able to look at your portrait and be
        able to see the character of your subject? Evan Crow
      • HDM SHORT
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2006
          Hi Group:

          Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the color in my digital photos?

        • jdacrobat
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2006
            I think Picasa (Free) is pretty cool for that, and really fast to add
            effects( color,saturation, blur....)Basically you can enhance the
            quality of your pics whithin seconds. you can get it at
            http://www.google2010.com/picasa
            --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, HDM SHORT <hdmshort@...> wrote:

            > Hi Group:
            >
            > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve
            the color in my digital photos?
            > Thanks,
            > Harry

          • the Crows
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2006
              The only filter I have ever used for color work was 1A skylight. For
              film it reduces the effects of UV _and_ protects the lens. Most color
              enhancement can be done with software. Evan

              HDM SHORT wrote:

              > Hi Group:
              >
              > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the
              > color in my digital photos?
              > Thanks,
              > Harry

            • Chuck Linsley
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 22, 2006
                HDM SHORT wrote:
                > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the
                > color in my digital photos?

                Typical digital cameras are not really designed to accept filters
                over the lens. This makes using filters impractical for most people.
                Correction in software is much easier, and in most cases will give
                results that are just as good. However, if you are fortunate enough
                to have a digital camera that can accept filters, read on.

                Back in the old days of film, there were correction filters for using
                daylight film in tungsten light, tungsten film in daylight and any
                film in fluorescent light. These days, most digital cameras make these
                corrections automatically. (Or try to; the light from most fluorescent
                tubes is so whacko that it is hard to get really good color no matter
                what you do.)

                If the camera is not doing a good job on the automatic setting, there
                may be a manual override. The manual setting probably offers a choice
                of daylight/flash, tungsten and fluorescent; there may or may not be a
                "custom" option. If there is, very slight adjustments to the custom
                settings is probably the easiest way to get what you want.

                Enhancing filters are more subtle than the correction filters. By far
                the most common is the 1A "skylight" filter, which is a very pale pink
                and gives slightly warmer skin tones. In theory, at least, one can also
                get pale red, green, blue, magenta, yellow and cyan filters to make
                your own custom adjustments. However these are hard to find and would
                probably have to be special-ordered.

                A polarizing filter can be useful. Depending on the time of day and
                other factors, it can dramatically deepen a blue sky without affecting
                other colors in the picture. It can also be very useful in removing
                reflections, say from eyeglasses or in copying framed pictures. This
                is one situation in which being able to use a filter on the camera is
                a real advantage; there is no software equivalent other than tedious
                manual retouching, and there is a good chance you still won't be able
                to get rid of the reflection.

                --
                Chuck Linsley
                linsley@...
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 23, 2006
                  You failed to state what make and model of camera that you have. The Canon
                  Power shot seiries have an adapter ring which will handle about any of your
                  old slr filters -----
                  > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the
                  > color in my digital photos?
                  > Thanks,
                  > Harry

                • HDM SHORT
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 24, 2006
                    My Camera is a Nikon D-70.
                    Harry

                    "Bill D. Russell" <wrussell@...> wrote:
                    You failed to state what make and model of camera that you have. The Canon
                    Power shot seiries have an adapter ring which will handle about any of your
                    old slr filters -----
                    > Can anyone suggest any enhancing filters, etc., that will improve the
                    > color in my digital photos?
                    > Thanks,
                    > Harry

                    Yahoo! Groups Links