Re: [genphoto] Photo Segment Enhancement

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3 2:12 PM
      On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:36:07 -0000, you wrote:

      >Could someone in this group advise as to whether or not a particular
      >segment within a photo, namely a calendar, can be enhanced to the point
      >of actually being able to read the date on the calendar?

      You may be familiar with the demonstration where you look at a blocky
      digital image up close and see nothing but random blocks of color and
      shade, but step back and you see an image of Lincoln. This effect can
      mean scaning a photo and zooming in on text can be more difficult to
      read. Sometimes a 10x loupe or a magnifying glass intended for reading
      (less powerful than the loupe) can help, but the same effect applies,
      only to a lesser degree in my experience.

      One thing I have done is scan the area of interest, bring that into my
      image editor, play with the zoom and contrast filters to help bring
      out the text. The contrast helps more than zoom in my opinion.

      I have not had good results with reading text in photos by magnifying
      it. I've tried to do the same thing you are, reading calendars and
      other documents, peering into photos on the wall in the background of
      family photos. Sometimes it is easier to read when you do not magnify
      the image. I have had varying success with magnification. You will
      have to experiment.

      Steve
    • Ruth
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3 2:43 PM
        If you are scanning an old photo with a calendar on the wall, when you scan bring
        in the scan borders to JUST the calendar. Then scan it at a very high
        resolution--900 or 1200, at least. Then bring that into your photo software and
        enlarge it to see if you can read it better.

        Ruth
        > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:36:07 -0000, you wrote:
        >
        >>Could someone in this group advise as to whether or not a particular
        >>segment within a photo, namely a calendar, can be enhanced to the point
        >>of actually being able to read the date on the calendar?
        >
        > You may be familiar with the demonstration where you look at a blocky
        > digital image up close and see nothing but random blocks of color and
        > shade, but step back and you see an image of Lincoln. This effect can
        > mean scaning a photo and zooming in on text can be more difficult to
        > read. Sometimes a 10x loupe or a magnifying glass intended for reading
        > (less powerful than the loupe) can help, but the same effect applies,
        > only to a lesser degree in my experience.
        >
        > One thing I have done is scan the area of interest, bring that into my
        > image editor, play with the zoom and contrast filters to help bring
        > out the text. The contrast helps more than zoom in my opinion.
        >
        > I have not had good results with reading text in photos by magnifying
        > it. I've tried to do the same thing you are, reading calendars and
        > other documents, peering into photos on the wall in the background of
        > family photos. Sometimes it is easier to read when you do not magnify
        > the image. I have had varying success with magnification. You will
        > have to experiment.
        >
        > Steve

        > --

      • Michael Stupinski
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3 3:27 PM
          Sorry, I guess the list lost some info on this because I took it
          offline by asking Charles to send me the picture so I could take a stab
          at it.

          Unfortunately, the picture (which is a terrific one, by the way) was at
          150 ppi, and the image of the calendar was somewhat under 1/8 inch
          across. Less than 20 pixels across its width from which to get
          information, way less than what would be needed to read text. If
          scanned at 1200 ppi, the width of the calendar would include about 160
          pixels, about 8 per digit horizontally on a standard calendar. Might
          work if the original image was distinct and sharp, but I suspect even
          the negative would not have enough info to do the trick. If it can be
          scanned at that resolution it would be worth trying, but a long shot, I
          think.

          .......Mike

        • LisaHBskt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3 10:42 PM
            In a message dated 11/2/2005 5:13:16 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            charlesestamp@... writes:

            Could someone in this group advise as to whether or not a particular
            segment within a photo, namely a calendar, can be enhanced to the point
            of actually being able to read the date on the calendar?

            I was able to recently date a photo using a calendar on the wall. It was
            taken of my gr gr gf's office in 1914.

            I was examing the photo with a magnifying glass with a light. There were
            two similar photos and only one I could read the date on.

            Lisa Harley
            Ca

          • H. D. Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3 11:16 PM
              Charles,

              I have been able to do this successfully. In one case I scanned
              an old b&w print at 1200ppi (as I recall) and was able to date
              the picture by reading the date on the license plate of an auto
              in the picture (1932). In the other case, the print was a very
              small (1 1/4" X 1 1/4") photo booth print from the 1920s. I
              scanned at 2400ppi and, after spending some time with Adobe
              Elements, was able to identify the person. She was wearing a
              necklace that had her name in script.

              In other cases I have had no success at all. It all depends on
              how much detail was captured in the print.

              Dennis