Photo Segment Enhancement

  • Charles Stamp
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
      Could someone in this group advise as to whether or not a particular
      segment within a photo, namely a calendar, can be enhanced to the point
      of actually being able to read the date on the calendar?
    • Michael Stupinski
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hard to tell without seeing it, Charles. Assuming you have it in
        digital format, send me a copy of the photo or just the section with
        the calendar, and I'll give it a shot. Send it to my email address
        above, though, not the list, which would probably reject the
        attachment.

        ............Mike

        On Nov 2, 2005, at 7:36 PM, Charles Stamp wrote:

        > Could someone in this group advise as to whether or not a particular
        > segment within a photo, namely a calendar, can be enhanced to the point
        > of actually being able to read the date on the calendar?
      • Carroll Hughes
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
          Charles:

          It's possible but depends on the sharpness of the original image - have
          you tried a microscope?
          If you see the grain of the film and cannot resolve the lettering then
          enhancement would be problematical. You can't enhance what was never there.

          Good luck.

          Carroll Hughes
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
            On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:36:07 -0000, you wrote:

            >Could someone in this group advise as to whether or not a particular
            >segment within a photo, namely a calendar, can be enhanced to the point
            >of actually being able to read the date on the calendar?

            You may be familiar with the demonstration where you look at a blocky
            digital image up close and see nothing but random blocks of color and
            shade, but step back and you see an image of Lincoln. This effect can
            mean scaning a photo and zooming in on text can be more difficult to
            read. Sometimes a 10x loupe or a magnifying glass intended for reading
            (less powerful than the loupe) can help, but the same effect applies,
            only to a lesser degree in my experience.

            One thing I have done is scan the area of interest, bring that into my
            image editor, play with the zoom and contrast filters to help bring
            out the text. The contrast helps more than zoom in my opinion.

            I have not had good results with reading text in photos by magnifying
            it. I've tried to do the same thing you are, reading calendars and
            other documents, peering into photos on the wall in the background of
            family photos. Sometimes it is easier to read when you do not magnify
            the image. I have had varying success with magnification. You will
            have to experiment.

            Steve
          • Ruth
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
              If you are scanning an old photo with a calendar on the wall, when you scan bring
              in the scan borders to JUST the calendar. Then scan it at a very high
              resolution--900 or 1200, at least. Then bring that into your photo software and
              enlarge it to see if you can read it better.

              Ruth
              > On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:36:07 -0000, you wrote:
              >
              >>Could someone in this group advise as to whether or not a particular
              >>segment within a photo, namely a calendar, can be enhanced to the point
              >>of actually being able to read the date on the calendar?
              >
              > You may be familiar with the demonstration where you look at a blocky
              > digital image up close and see nothing but random blocks of color and
              > shade, but step back and you see an image of Lincoln. This effect can
              > mean scaning a photo and zooming in on text can be more difficult to
              > read. Sometimes a 10x loupe or a magnifying glass intended for reading
              > (less powerful than the loupe) can help, but the same effect applies,
              > only to a lesser degree in my experience.
              >
              > One thing I have done is scan the area of interest, bring that into my
              > image editor, play with the zoom and contrast filters to help bring
              > out the text. The contrast helps more than zoom in my opinion.
              >
              > I have not had good results with reading text in photos by magnifying
              > it. I've tried to do the same thing you are, reading calendars and
              > other documents, peering into photos on the wall in the background of
              > family photos. Sometimes it is easier to read when you do not magnify
              > the image. I have had varying success with magnification. You will
              > have to experiment.
              >
              > Steve

              > --

            • Michael Stupinski
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
                Sorry, I guess the list lost some info on this because I took it
                offline by asking Charles to send me the picture so I could take a stab
                at it.

                Unfortunately, the picture (which is a terrific one, by the way) was at
                150 ppi, and the image of the calendar was somewhat under 1/8 inch
                across. Less than 20 pixels across its width from which to get
                information, way less than what would be needed to read text. If
                scanned at 1200 ppi, the width of the calendar would include about 160
                pixels, about 8 per digit horizontally on a standard calendar. Might
                work if the original image was distinct and sharp, but I suspect even
                the negative would not have enough info to do the trick. If it can be
                scanned at that resolution it would be worth trying, but a long shot, I
                think.

                .......Mike

              • LisaHBskt@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
                  In a message dated 11/2/2005 5:13:16 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  charlesestamp@... writes:

                  Could someone in this group advise as to whether or not a particular
                  segment within a photo, namely a calendar, can be enhanced to the point
                  of actually being able to read the date on the calendar?

                  I was able to recently date a photo using a calendar on the wall. It was
                  taken of my gr gr gf's office in 1914.

                  I was examing the photo with a magnifying glass with a light. There were
                  two similar photos and only one I could read the date on.

                  Lisa Harley
                  Ca

                • H. D. Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
                    Charles,

                    I have been able to do this successfully. In one case I scanned
                    an old b&w print at 1200ppi (as I recall) and was able to date
                    the picture by reading the date on the license plate of an auto
                    in the picture (1932). In the other case, the print was a very
                    small (1 1/4" X 1 1/4") photo booth print from the 1920s. I
                    scanned at 2400ppi and, after spending some time with Adobe
                    Elements, was able to identify the person. She was wearing a
                    necklace that had her name in script.

                    In other cases I have had no success at all. It all depends on
                    how much detail was captured in the print.

                    Dennis