Re: Family History Scrapbook

  • LDYTRAMP
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      this is a big undertaking. I made one for each of my children last
      year printed from June to the middle of Dec. before I had everthing I
      needed. I used my genealogy program to print the family trees, then I
      used Print Shop to import all of the photo's and family stories into a
      file, created generation pages so that the book could be tabed by
      generations. You can buy self stick colored tabs that are on a page
      for you printer Avery puts them out, so that you can tab your
      genertations. I think scaning you family trees and importing into a
      presentation program would make putting the book together easier than
      the way that I did mine. My version of Print Shop will let you create
      a publacation and save it in a PDF file which allows you to share it
      easily. FTM also lets you creat a family book with all of the features
      needed and will let you convert the book to PDF. There may be other
      programs that will let you do the same thing these are just the two
      that I have. However before you get to the saving and printing you
      still have to import into the program and that takes a long time.
      When I put my books together I used a three ring binder as I had too
      much to use a binding combe. The binders I used had a clear sleeve on
      the front and spine so that I could creat a cover and spline graphic.
      It's a really nice thing once it is all put together. I am interested
      in genealogy so I included birth certificates, marriage certificates,
      death certificates, certificates of accomplisments etc. that I could
      find as well as copies of family storys and pictures. I started with a
      core couple, my parents and orginized it with decendants first and
      then ancestors.
      Must be one of my hobbies as I just seem to go on and on anyway a lot
      of work but so worth it when it is finished

      Gwen Hopkins

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        For people contemplating putting together a family, be careful when
        working with photo corners. I purchased a quality three ring archival
        album with slipcase and heavy card stock photo sheets with clear
        covers to create an album for some of our significant or interesting
        family photos. I purchased archival photo corners, which are
        transparent and have the adhesive kept back form the corners to reduce
        chance of oozing out on the photo. Although I had never used this kind
        of album before, I thought I was prepared to protect my photos.

        To practice putting together a page, I got out one of my photographs
        printed on the inkjet. I began peeling the corners off their non-stick
        pad. I set the first corner in place, fitted the print into it to
        place the next corner. The corners sometimes resist peeling off the
        base and can be hard to handle without getting it stuck to you. I
        fumbled the corner and it landed right on the image surface. Needless
        to say it pulled image right off the paper when I removed it. If this
        had been an important family photograph, it likely would have
        destroyed it.

        Be careful using photo corners. I now create a blank to use as a
        template. I take a sheet of bond paper and cut it to the size of
        image, then I use that to position the corners and get them seated
        before arching the photo slightly to mount it. There may be a better
        way, but this is how I did it.

        I am considering going back to clear photo pages where the photos are
        inserted into pockets.

        Steve
      • g.ruppert@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
          Using tweezers to manipulate those sticky little critters helps, but there are still a lot of problems getting the photo corners to stay where you want them.

          Gary
          Baltimore
          http://home.att.net/~g.ruppert

          -------------- Original message from Steve Knoblock <knoblock_private@...>: --------------