Re: [genphoto] Re: scanner question

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2005
      >greyscale or 48 bit rgb) because vintage photos are often faded or need work
      >and there is not enough information in the 8 bit mode to avoid banding.

      I have always found this to be true working with vintage photographs.
      For some reason, albumen prints from the 19th century need more
      "headroom" than ordinary black and white. Even a small change in
      lightness or contrast seems to affect albumen or sepia tone images (I
      am not sure about sepia toned black and white images or neutral toned
      prints from the 19th century). One explanation is they have more open
      shadows, perhaps a wider dynamic range. Several years ago this came up
      on the list, but no real answer was settled on.

      Steve