RE: [genphoto] Taking pictures of microfilm viewers

  • Alain Van Wayenberge
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 30, 2005
      Hi John,
      Thanks for your answer, but the flash was off.
      My problem is the difference of light between the bright center of the
      screen and the sides, nearly dark.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
        I have the same problem trying to put movis on video. They have a hot spot in the
        center because of the bulb in the projector. I imagine it is the same cause with
        your photos. I wish I knew of a "fix."

        Ruth
        > Thanks for your answer, but the flash was off.
        > My problem is the difference of light between the bright center of the
        > screen and the sides, nearly dark.

      • Alain Van Wayenberge
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi Ruth,
          Thanks for your answer any way.
          There are so few answers I began to think I’m the only idiot trying to
          print those pictures on normal paper with some kind of success, or at
          least with the possibility of reading the text correctly.
          Alain.

        • Rstarthistle@wmconnect.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
            In a message dated 8/1/2005 9:08:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            alain.vanwayenberge@... writes:

            > Hi Ruth,

            > Thanks for your answer any way.

            > There are so few answers I began to think I’m the only idiot trying to

            > print those pictures on normal paper with some kind of success, or at

            > least with the possibility of reading the text correctly.

            > Alain.

            No the only idiot I'm glad to see your post and am watching for an answer.
            I've thought of doing the same from microfilm viewers. the one Family history
            center I've been to only has one reader that will print copies and I hate to get
            all the way there and that reader is in use or broken. so I've thought of
            taking my digital carmera but haven't tried it yet.

            Rhonda

          • Historic Photo Archive
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
              I have obtained the best results by taking the microfilm into the darkroom
              and putting it in a 35mm film enlarger and making a 8x10 print of the
              desired news item. Although its a bit of trouble, it is high quality.
              --
              Thomas Robinson
              http://www.historicphotoarchive.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2005
                Thanks to everybody who helped me with this problem .

                Alain.

              • Rstarthistle@wmconnect.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2005
                  In a message dated 8/4/2005 2:24:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  alain.vanwayenberge@... writes:

                  > Thanks to everybody who helped me with this problem .
                  >
                  > Alain.

                  Did you ever get an answer as I'm curious about how to solve this problem you
                  brought up before I try it myself. The last answer I saw of taking the
                  microfilm itself into a darkroom not being possible.

                  Rhonda

                • baker_farmer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4, 2005
                    --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, Rstarthistle@w... wrote:
                    > In a message dated 8/4/2005 2:24:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > alain.vanwayenberge@s... writes:
                    >

                    > > Thanks to everybody who helped me with this problem .
                    > >
                    > > Alain.
                    > >

                    > Did you ever get an answer as I'm curious about how to solve this
                    problem you
                    > brought up before I try it myself. The last answer I saw of taking the
                    > microfilm itself into a darkroom not being possible.

                    If you have a flatbed scanner with a transparency lid, that might be
                    an option as well. Lay the film across the bed and scan at 1200-2400
                    dpi just like a negative scanner would.

                    Susan
                  • Rstarthistle@wmconnect.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4, 2005
                      Thanks for the note. I wish I had a laptop and portable scanner where I could
                      do that. Hmm-m-m, if wishes were pennies!!!

                      What about when you go to the library or a Family History Center that has
                      microfilm readers (no scanners, no darkroom). the closest FHC to me has 4
                      microfilm readers, 2 microfiche readers and one that does both and will print. I
                      haven't gone that often as it is 30- 40 minutes away but when I have the reader
                      that prints hasn't always been available- someone was using it or it was
                      broken. Makes for kind of a wasted trip. I can find stuff and write it down but
                      there is nothing like taking a copy home to peruse at my convenience especially
                      since their hours and mine don't cross much so I usually don't have alot of
                      time when I am there. I too have thought of taking my digital camera and taking
                      a picture of the microfilm machine screen. I have also thought about trying it
                      first here at my local library as the only lens they have for their microfilm
                      reader won't shrink a census page enough to fit on a large piece of paper
                      (14" x 16" I think)) so I have to pay for at least two copies and staple together
                      sometimes more pages if they are at the bottom of the census page and I of
                      course also want the info at the top. I had been wondering if anyone else had
                      thought of doing this or had tried it. From the original post in this thread
                      at least I've found it is possible to do and it'll view on the computer but the
                      ability to print it would be nice also. It may not be possible and that is
                      why there is no answer along those lines or could be no one with enough computer
                      savvy has ever wanted/needed to try it. I don't know but it certainly is an
                      interesting question. I'm going take a pic of a microfilm screen just to see
                      what happens and play with it some. Like someone else recently, perhaps the
                      originator of this thread, I also only have photostudio (5) which came with my
                      scanner and has been very good for what I need and better now as I've recently
                      found how to do a bunch more stuff on it! This is certainly a very informative
                      list with alot of knowledgable people that have helped me out on a few
                      subjects. Before my digital camera and inheriting a bunch of old pics, my camera
                      experience was that of "1 button point and shoot" and maybe fill up a 12 pic
                      roll in 3-4 years! Thanks for all the input and ideas! Have a great day all!

                      Rhonda

                      In a message dated 8/4/2005 9:48:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sfarmer writes:

                      > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, Rstarthistle@w... wrote:
                      > > In a message dated 8/4/2005 2:24:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > > alain.vanwayenberge@s... writes:
                      > >

                      > > > Thanks to everybody who helped me with this problem .
                      > > >
                      > > > Alain.
                      > > >

                      > > Did you ever get an answer as I'm curious about how to solve this
                      > problem you
                      > > brought up before I try it myself. The last answer I saw of taking the
                      > > microfilm itself into a darkroom not being possible.
                      >
                      > If you have a flatbed scanner with a transparency lid, that might be
                      > an option as well. Lay the film across the bed and scan at 1200-2400
                      > dpi just like a negative scanner would.
                      >
                      > Susan

                    • Betty Jane Hylton
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4, 2005
                        If an old one is available, try a microfilm reader that projects
                        the image down on a flat surface. I was able to use my digital
                        camera without the flash and get a readable picture. There will
                        always be that hot spot from the bulb.

                        Betty Jane

                        Get your own "800" number
                        Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
                        http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

                        ---- On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Rstarthistle@...

                        href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hedquco/M=320369.6903864.7846594.2920218/D=groups/S=1705040837:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123188233/A=2896112/R=0/SIG=1107idj9u/*http://www.thanksandgiving.com
                        > ">Give the gift of life to a sick child. Support St. Jude
                        Children¿s Research Hospital</a>.</font>

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 4, 2005
                          interesting- I've never seen one of those but will look more closely next
                          time. ---Rhonda

                          In a message dated 8/4/2005 2:55:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bjhylton@
                          writes:

                          > If an old one is available, try a microfilm reader that projects
                          > the image down on a flat surface. I was able to use my digital
                          > camera without the flash and get a readable picture. There will
                          > always be that hot spot from the bulb.
                          >
                          > Betty Jane

                        • Historic Photo Archive
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5, 2005
                            Most libraries have xeroxing microfilm readers or can make copies. Make a
                            photocopy and shot the copy with your digital camera in the "macro" mode.
                            You can trim the copy either physically or in photoshop. When shooting, use
                            the tif and not the jpg setting and set the resolution to maximum. Good
                            luck