Cleaning photos and negatives

  • Dimitris
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 13, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm busy archiving old family photos right now. Most of them are
      colored from the 80s, taken by one of those pocket Kodak cameras with
      the small negatives and some photographs are b/w dating back from the
      60s.

      So, the issue here is that I'm not sure how to take care of them. I
      mean, old photographs are sometimes dirty, is there a way to clean
      them? And also, how do I clean old negatives?

      I'd appreciate any help,
      Thanks :^)
      Dimitris
    • Ken Allen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2005
        Hi Dimitris,

        My suggestion is to first, sort through organize the old film and
        transfer them to a new clean and archival storage container. With
        126, 110 and some of the other old formats I like to put them in 35mm
        Printfile (www.printfile.com) polyethylene pages then put them in a
        enclosed binder like the "Workbox" also from print file. Their are
        other manufacturers, but two good resellers are:

        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?
        FNC=StartLink__Aindex_html
        http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping

        Keep any old packaging that has information about the photographs,
        and make sure to transfer that information to the new pages.

        There are many ways to store and organize old negatives, so you can
        find a way that works for you. The enclosed archival binders with the
        archival polyethylene pages work well for me.

        Regarding cleaning. I would carefully wipe off any dust with a clean
        anti-stat photo cloth. these can be found in any good camera store.
        That should be fine for most situations.

        If you find yourself in a special situation, for example mold,
        fungus, the film is heavily soiled, or if you are trying to make dust
        free scans then cleaning may be in order. Because of all of the
        variables you could encounter I don't want to make a blanket
        statement about cleaning. Generally it's not a difficult process, but
        some film in some situations will require different handling.

        I hope this helps. If you have a specific need to clean the film, and
        you can be more specific about the film type and condition then I may
        be able to give you a specific suggestion. BTW, I am not an agent for
        any of the above mentioned products or resellers.

        Regards,

        Ken Allen
        Image Conservator, Inc.
        330 Wythe Ave., Suite 2f
        Brooklyn, NY 11211
        917-853-0592

        ken.allen@...

        On Jul 13, 2005, at 2:24 PM, Dimitris wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm busy archiving old family photos right now. Most of them are
        > colored from the 80s, taken by one of those pocket Kodak cameras with
        > the small negatives and some photographs are b/w dating back from the
        > 60s.
        >
        > So, the issue here is that I'm not sure how to take care of them. I
        > mean, old photographs are sometimes dirty, is there a way to clean
        > them? And also, how do I clean old negatives?
        >
        > I'd appreciate any help,
        > Thanks :^)
        > Dimitris

        > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
        > address, use editor@...

        > Photographs Family genealogy Family search internet genealogy service
        > Genealogy family search Genealogy family tree Family tree maker
        > genealogy site
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "genphoto" on the web.

      • Dimitris
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
          Hi Ken,

          your post is very helpful, thanks a lot.
          I think I'll pay a visit to some good camera store, see what cleaning
          products they have there. Also, I'll have a look at the links you've
          provided. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

          All of my family's old photos are a real mess, I have to restore them
          and archive them in new albums and also keep a scanned copy of them. I
          feel that photographs manage to preserve something of all that has
          passed and will never return..

          thanks again :^)
          Dimitris

        • dolores desideri
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
            I've done a gread deal of work scanning our old photos into the
            computer, and restoring them in Elements 3. I have two problems.

            One is old Kodak colored pics that have a very thick coat of gold color
            change. I can get the color off except for where the pictures were
            touched. There are skin oil finger prints that have "etched" the gold
            discoloring onto the picture. I cannot get it off digitally.

            The second problem is a picture with lighting problems that never comes
            out right.

            dolores
            On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:59 AM, genphoto@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > Message: 2
            > Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:11:36 -0400
            > From: Ken Allen <ken@...>
            > Subject: Re: Cleaning photos and negatives
            >
            > I hope this helps. If you have a specific need to clean the film, and
            > you can be more specific about the film type and condition then I may
            > be able to give you a specific suggestion. BTW, I am not an agent for
            > any of the above mentioned products or resellers.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Ken Allen
            > Image Conservator, Inc.
            > 330 Wythe Ave., Suite 2f
            > Brooklyn, NY 11211
            > 917-853-0592
            >
            > ken.allen@...
          • Historic Photo Archive
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
              The best source of information on this subject is Henry Wilhelm's book "The
              Permanence and Care of Color Photographs" which is now a free download at:
              http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book.html

              Some additional quick advice:

              3 ring binder pages have been proven to cause deterioration of negatives and
              are no longer used by archives. One of the chapters in Wilhelms' book shows
              examples of the problems that they cause to negatives and I can attest to
              having seen this myself many times. The problem is caused by the coating
              that manufacturers apply to the plastic in order to weld the seams on the
              page, and applies to all manufacturers.

              I recommend the Light Impressions Mylar D sleeves for 35mm and 120 format
              film.

              If you buy your archival envelopes from one source, be sure that you buy the
              boxes from the same place since some manufacturers make their envelopes and
              boxes slightly larger or smaller and sometimes the envelopes may not fit the
              box.

              Best way to blow off dust is with a medical compressor, which are very cheap
              on ebay in the Business & Industrial > Healthcare, Lab & Life
              Science > Medical Equipment category. Air is available in cans but if you
              tilt the can while spraying you shoot a substance across the film, also the
              canned air is too expensive. Here is the exact model that I have been using
              for the last 20 years:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7527451960
              You need a hose and nozzle with it, I use one off an old canned air can.

              --
              Thomas Robinson
              http://www.historicphotoarchive.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
                Good information. But the PrintFile 3 ring binder pages sold by Light
                Impressions and University Products have addressed the issues
                identified in Wilhelm's book (published in 1993). The pages are
                uncoated, and there are other options from these resellers.
                Admittedly, it is likely that not all of the sleeves that PrintFile
                and the other manufacturers sell may not hold up to the PAT test, but
                Light Impressions and University Products seem to be very respectable
                resellers that vet out most of the bad options and provide very good
                descriptions and options.

                In summary for many private clients that prefer the ease of use the
                enclosed archival three ring binders the archival film and print
                storage pages are a good option. Other clients and the most stringent
                museums may prefer the boxed print and film management systems which
                require a little more organization.

                Ken Allen
                Image Conservator, Inc.
                330 Wythe Ave., Suite 2f