old photos on cards

  • Rstarthistle@wmconnect.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005
      I have several old photos from around 1900 and just acquired some more. they
      are attached to cards. Many of the cards say Brookshire, Matthews & Co Central
      Gallery (and Central Art Gallery) some say 403 23rd Avenue Meridian, MS
      and others say 405 23rd Ave. Another says Brookshire Thames & Co. Central Art
      Studio 403 23rd Ave Meridian, MS. First of all has anyone ever heard of
      this company (in whichever format) and know when exactly it was in business?
      Secondly, if the photos are attached to these cards does that mean that they
      took the pic or would pics sometimes be attached to the cards later? My
      gr-grandmother's first husband was a Matthews in Meridian so she probably had ties to
      these same Matthews in the photography business but I have a photo on one of
      these labelled as someone that would have died quite a few years before the
      Matthews come into the family. (could always be mislabelled I know) but I was
      curious as to whether pics would be attached later- all the pics I have on
      cards are "paper thin" so I don't see how that is possible but thought I'd ask.
      Then one other possibility exists- if the company was in business for awhile
      as Brookshire Matthews and company then they did not live that far from
      meridian to have travelled there when the woman was still alive and had the pic taken
      which would be great as that would give us the only known pic of this woman.

      Rhonda Raye

    • Ken Allen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005
        Rhonda Ray,

        The photos were normally delivered from the studio attached to the
        card. It is not likely that a photograph would be attache to a card
        at a later tie.

        Photo studios did do a lot of copying of old photographs, so it is
        possible that an older photograph was copied, and the new copy was
        delivered mounted on the card.

        I hope that this helps.

        Ken Allen
        Image Conservator, Inc.
        ken@...

      • Historic Photo Archive
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2005
          Most states have photo-researchers who have published books listing early
          photographers, Mississippi is one of the few that, as far as I can tell,
          does not. It is just over the border of Mautz' book Checklist of Western
          Photographers. I have consulted my own files and most bibliographies to
          see. The GEH database is not working this morning, perhaps it would be
          worth a try later.

          I would suggest a trip to a regional library that has old city directories.
          You will find the studio, the years of operation, the names of the owners.
          By looking up all the Matthews in the area, you will see who was associated
          with the studio and who had other occupations. The census may add more
          information. By far the best source of information would be the local
          newspaper on microfilm, you will see their advertisements and also
          occasional news items about them.

          The imprint on the card means the print was finished by the studio. In most
          cases it means the photo was also taken in the studio. Many studios
          operated portable galleries during the summer that visited outlying
          communities, and these photos would usually be imprinted with card stock of
          the home gallery. Ken Allen pointed out that studios often did copy work,
          these can be distinguished by comparison, copies usually have reduced
          optical sharpness and a compressed tonal range.

          Best of luck
          --
          Thomas Robinson
          441 NE Jarrett St.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28, 2005
            Thanks for your help and advice on what to do next! Looks like I have my
            work cut out for me! Have a great day!

            Rhonda Raye