Re: [genphoto] Organizing and Preserving Family Photos

  • Michael Stupinski
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      Just a gentle reminder to provide, when known, what computer platforms
      a program is available for. It may not be known in each case, of
      course, but if it is, time can be saved by knowing that up front.

      Thanks,
      ................Mike

      On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Arleen wrote:

      > Like the rest of you I also have piles of photos along with piles of
      > other genealogical info. I found 2 different programs available to help
      > organize.
      > Bygones which is freeware
      > HYPERLINK
      > "http://home.utah-inter.net/bygones/"http://home.utah-inter.net/
      > bygones/
      >

      > Clooz
      > HYPERLINK "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/
      >
      > I tried Bygones and found it not very user friendly for my needs. But
      > the cost is nil and if you can figure it out I would guess it is a
      > great
      > program.
      >
      > I did purchase Clooz and have found it a very workable program to
      > organize photos. (and my other paperwork) You basically give a photo an
      > id # and then describe who is in the photo. As you add more photos you
      > link the persons in the pic. So when you run a report you can find that
      > you have 5 pictures that have aunt Mary and maybe only 4 with uncle
      > Charley. You can add thumbnails to the database which also helps. You
      > also enter the location of the photo - ie: in the Smith binder or show
      > the electronic location (cd, hd, or memory stick)
      >
      > I have no financial gains in either of these programs just thought
      > others might find these a good way to organize.
      >
      > Arleen
      >

      > --

      > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
      > address, use editor@...
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Arleen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
        Mike and All
        Bygones is PC or Mac
        Clooz is PC

        sorry I forgot that
        Arleen

        "HYPERLINK "http://home.utah-inter.net/"http://home.utah-inter.net/

        "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/"HYPERLINK
        "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/

        > I tried Bygones and found it not very user friendly for my needs. But
        > the cost is nil and if you can figure it out I would guess it is a
        > great
        > program.
        >
        > I did purchase Clooz and have found it a very workable program to
        > organize photos. (and my other paperwork) You basically give a photo
        an
        > id # and then describe who is in the photo. As you add more photos you
        > link the persons in the pic. So when you run a report you can find
        that
        > you have 5 pictures that have aunt Mary and maybe only 4 with uncle
        > Charley. You can add thumbnails to the database which also helps. You
        > also enter the location of the photo - ie: in the Smith binder or show
        > the electronic location (cd, hd, or memory stick)
        >
        > I have no financial gains in either of these programs just thought
        > others might find these a good way to organize.
        >
        > Arleen
        >

        > --
        >

        > GenPhoto HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
        enphoto/
        > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
        > address, use editor@...
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        GenPhoto HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
        enphoto/
        Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
        use editor@...

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
        enphoto/

        HYPERLINK
        "mailto:genphoto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"genphot

      • Michael Stupinski
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
          I should add that I have checked these recommendations and Clooz is
          available only for Windows 9x, 2000, ME and XP. Bygones, on the other
          hand, is available for Windows 95/98/ME/XP and NT as well as MacOS 8.1
          and higher, and OS 10 (OS X). In the case of the Mac, be sure to get
          the right version for your OS.
          .............Mike

        • Michael Stupinski
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
            Boy, you're quick Arleen! Thanks.

            .........Mike

            On Jun 1, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Arleen wrote:

> [...]
            >>

            > GenPhoto HYPERLINK
            > "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/
            > group/g
            > enphoto/
            > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
            > use editor@...
            >

            > _____

            > HYPERLINK
            > "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/
            > group/g
            > enphoto/

            > HYPERLINK
            > "mailto:genphoto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
            > subject=Unsubscribe"genphot
            > o-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >

            > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the HYPERLINK
            > "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            >

            > --

            > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner

          • Chuck Linsley
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
              Gwen Hopkins said:
              > Store your photo's in a JPEG format as most
              > computers can read that format.

              Your master scan should NOT be saved in JPEG format. Either TIFF or
              PNG should also be useable on any computer with decently up-to-date
              software. These formats will result in larger files than JPEG, but
              the way that JPEG gets small files is by throwing away detail. NEVER
              save as a JPEG until you are all done resizing, cropping, retouching,
              color-correcting, etc. Every time you save a JPEG, it further degrades
              the image.

              --
              Chuck Linsley
              linsley@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                It's sad that I didn't join this kind of group when I first started scanning and saving my family photo's. I have learned all I know by trail and error. Sometimes it's been a sad experance. I started saving all of my photo file in a JPEG so that my cousins that use MAC's could read them, and also because they import into most photo editing programs. Can MAC user's read a TIFF?

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                  I believe Macs can read every graphics format that a Windows machine
                  can read, including JPEG and TIFF. I haven't encountered any
                  exceptions to that, but if there are any I'm sure someone here who has
                  run into one will let us know.

                  ........Mike

                  On Jun 1, 2005, at 9:36 PM, Gwen Hopkins wrote:

                  > It's sad that I didn't join this kind of group when I first started
                  > scanning and saving my family photo's. I have learned all I know by
                  > trail and error. Sometimes it's been a sad experance. I started
                  > saving all of my photo file in a JPEG so that my cousins that use
                  > MAC's could read them, and also because they import into most photo
                  > editing programs. Can MAC user's read a TIFF?
                  >
                  > Chuck Linsley <linsley@...> wrote:
                  > Gwen Hopkins said:
                  >> Store your photo's in a JPEG format as most
                  >> computers can read that format.
                  >
                  > Your master scan should NOT be saved in JPEG format. Either TIFF or
                  > PNG should also be useable on any computer with decently up-to-date
                  > software. These formats will result in larger files than JPEG, but
                  > the way that JPEG gets small files is by throwing away detail. NEVER
                  > save as a JPEG until you are all done resizing, cropping, retouching,
                  > color-correcting, etc. Every time you save a JPEG, it further degrades
                  > the image.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Chuck Linsley
                  > linsley@...

                  > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
                  > address, use editor@...

                  > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
                  > address, use editor@...
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Michael Stupinski
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                    By the way, I wouldn't get too upset about having already saved many of
                    the files as JPEG. The loss will probably be minor on the first save.
                    If the next time the file is opened it is saved as a TIFF no further
                    degradation will have taken place. If a JPEG file is repeatedly opened
                    and resaved as a JPEG, further loss will take place each time it is
                    saved, but the first time should be no problem, particularly if it
                    isn't saved with high compression.