Re: [genphoto] Organizing and Preserving Family Photos

  • Gwen Hopkins
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      I'm sure that each person with this problem has a different idea. I can tell you what not to do. Don't just scan them and drop them in a generic file labled photo's. I'm now going back through all of my many family photo disks and placeing them in files labled with the appropeate family. With in the large family I'm creating sub families so that it is easier to find the different photo's

      I've also discovered that scanning a photo once at at least 600 dpi's and saving it is best. You can then size that scan to what ever size you need. This is better for the orginal photo as once you have a good scan or copy you can store the orginal away and not comprise it. Make at least one copy of you scaned photo so that you don't lose it.

      I have a master copy and a file that is a copy of my master. I use the copy of the master to resize and copy for family members keeping my master copy for in case something happens to my copy of the master copy. I would also suggest that you make copies that are not stored on your computer's hard drive as the hard drive can become corrupted and you will lose all of the photo's stored on it. Store your photo's in a JPEG format as most computers can read that format.

      G Hopkins

      Ann Stewart <annstewart@...> wrote:
      We have boxes and boxes of family photos that we want to organize and
      preserve for our enjoyment and for future generations, and I'm
      interested in knowing how others have done this. We have:

      - Some very old pictures from past generations. (This includes
      some pictures of people we can't identify.) This is not a large quantity
      of pictures, so storing and organizing isn't overwhelming. We're just
      trying to be sure we preserve them. My husband scans them for his
      genealogy records, and we preserve the originals.

      - My parents' collection of pictures, mostly our family as we
      were growing up. Some are duplicates; some are photographer portraits;
      most are just snapshots of varying quality. A lot of them aren't
      labeled, but right now we know who most of them are. (Future generations
      won't, so whatever we do with these pictures needs to be done now.)
      There are a LOT of pictures, and I wonder if we should pare them down to
      the best ones and organize them. (Space is a consideration, but It's
      very hard for me to think of discarding even the most out-of-focus
      family picture. I am just paralyzed on this project, not being able to
      decide how to begin.)

      - Our own very large collection of pictures that we've
      accumulated as a family-many treasured pictures are colored snapshots
      that have yellowed. Some of them I mounted in those magnetic photo
      albums before I knew better. Many others are in drawers waiting for me
      to figure out how I want to handle them.

      I'm sure ours isn't a unique situation, and I'm interested in what
      others have done.

      I appreciate any experience and suggestions you can share.

      Ann Stewart

    • Arleen
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
        Like the rest of you I also have piles of photos along with piles of
        other genealogical info. I found 2 different programs available to help
        organize.
        Bygones which is freeware
        HYPERLINK
        "http://home.utah-inter.net/bygones/"http://home.utah-inter.net/bygones/

        Clooz
        HYPERLINK "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/

        I tried Bygones and found it not very user friendly for my needs. But
        the cost is nil and if you can figure it out I would guess it is a great
        program.

        I did purchase Clooz and have found it a very workable program to
        organize photos. (and my other paperwork) You basically give a photo an
        id # and then describe who is in the photo. As you add more photos you
        link the persons in the pic. So when you run a report you can find that
        you have 5 pictures that have aunt Mary and maybe only 4 with uncle
        Charley. You can add thumbnails to the database which also helps. You
        also enter the location of the photo - ie: in the Smith binder or show
        the electronic location (cd, hd, or memory stick)

        I have no financial gains in either of these programs just thought
        others might find these a good way to organize.

        Arleen

      • Michael Stupinski
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
          Just a gentle reminder to provide, when known, what computer platforms
          a program is available for. It may not be known in each case, of
          course, but if it is, time can be saved by knowing that up front.

          Thanks,
          ................Mike

          On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Arleen wrote:

          > Like the rest of you I also have piles of photos along with piles of
          > other genealogical info. I found 2 different programs available to help
          > organize.
          > Bygones which is freeware
          > HYPERLINK
          > "http://home.utah-inter.net/bygones/"http://home.utah-inter.net/
          > bygones/
          >

          > Clooz
          > HYPERLINK "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/
          >
          > I tried Bygones and found it not very user friendly for my needs. But
          > the cost is nil and if you can figure it out I would guess it is a
          > great
          > program.
          >
          > I did purchase Clooz and have found it a very workable program to
          > organize photos. (and my other paperwork) You basically give a photo an
          > id # and then describe who is in the photo. As you add more photos you
          > link the persons in the pic. So when you run a report you can find that
          > you have 5 pictures that have aunt Mary and maybe only 4 with uncle
          > Charley. You can add thumbnails to the database which also helps. You
          > also enter the location of the photo - ie: in the Smith binder or show
          > the electronic location (cd, hd, or memory stick)
          >
          > I have no financial gains in either of these programs just thought
          > others might find these a good way to organize.
          >
          > Arleen
          >

          > --

          > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
          > address, use editor@...
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Arleen
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
            Mike and All
            Bygones is PC or Mac
            Clooz is PC

            sorry I forgot that
            Arleen

            "HYPERLINK "http://home.utah-inter.net/"http://home.utah-inter.net/

            "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/"HYPERLINK
            "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/

            > I tried Bygones and found it not very user friendly for my needs. But
            > the cost is nil and if you can figure it out I would guess it is a
            > great
            > program.
            >
            > I did purchase Clooz and have found it a very workable program to
            > organize photos. (and my other paperwork) You basically give a photo
            an
            > id # and then describe who is in the photo. As you add more photos you
            > link the persons in the pic. So when you run a report you can find
            that
            > you have 5 pictures that have aunt Mary and maybe only 4 with uncle
            > Charley. You can add thumbnails to the database which also helps. You
            > also enter the location of the photo - ie: in the Smith binder or show
            > the electronic location (cd, hd, or memory stick)
            >
            > I have no financial gains in either of these programs just thought
            > others might find these a good way to organize.
            >
            > Arleen
            >

            > --
            >

            > GenPhoto HYPERLINK
            "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
            enphoto/
            > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
            > address, use editor@...
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            GenPhoto HYPERLINK
            "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
            enphoto/
            Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
            use editor@...

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            HYPERLINK
            "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
            enphoto/

            HYPERLINK
            "mailto:genphoto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"genphot

          • Michael Stupinski
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
              I should add that I have checked these recommendations and Clooz is
              available only for Windows 9x, 2000, ME and XP. Bygones, on the other
              hand, is available for Windows 95/98/ME/XP and NT as well as MacOS 8.1
              and higher, and OS 10 (OS X). In the case of the Mac, be sure to get
              the right version for your OS.
              .............Mike

            • Michael Stupinski
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                Boy, you're quick Arleen! Thanks.

                .........Mike

                On Jun 1, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Arleen wrote:

> [...]
                >>

                > GenPhoto HYPERLINK
                > "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/
                > group/g
                > enphoto/
                > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
                > use editor@...
                >

                > _____

                > HYPERLINK
                > "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/
                > group/g
                > enphoto/

                > HYPERLINK
                > "mailto:genphoto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
                > subject=Unsubscribe"genphot
                > o-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >

                > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the HYPERLINK
                > "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                >

                > --

                > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner

              • Chuck Linsley
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Gwen Hopkins said:
                  > Store your photo's in a JPEG format as most
                  > computers can read that format.

                  Your master scan should NOT be saved in JPEG format. Either TIFF or
                  PNG should also be useable on any computer with decently up-to-date
                  software. These formats will result in larger files than JPEG, but
                  the way that JPEG gets small files is by throwing away detail. NEVER
                  save as a JPEG until you are all done resizing, cropping, retouching,
                  color-correcting, etc. Every time you save a JPEG, it further degrades
                  the image.

                  --
                  Chuck Linsley
                  linsley@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                    It's sad that I didn't join this kind of group when I first started scanning and saving my family photo's. I have learned all I know by trail and error. Sometimes it's been a sad experance. I started saving all of my photo file in a JPEG so that my cousins that use MAC's could read them, and also because they import into most photo editing programs. Can MAC user's read a TIFF?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                      I believe Macs can read every graphics format that a Windows machine
                      can read, including JPEG and TIFF. I haven't encountered any
                      exceptions to that, but if there are any I'm sure someone here who has
                      run into one will let us know.

                      ........Mike

                      On Jun 1, 2005, at 9:36 PM, Gwen Hopkins wrote:

                      > It's sad that I didn't join this kind of group when I first started
                      > scanning and saving my family photo's. I have learned all I know by
                      > trail and error. Sometimes it's been a sad experance. I started
                      > saving all of my photo file in a JPEG so that my cousins that use
                      > MAC's could read them, and also because they import into most photo
                      > editing programs. Can MAC user's read a TIFF?
                      >
                      > Chuck Linsley <linsley@...> wrote:
                      > Gwen Hopkins said:
                      >> Store your photo's in a JPEG format as most
                      >> computers can read that format.
                      >
                      > Your master scan should NOT be saved in JPEG format. Either TIFF or
                      > PNG should also be useable on any computer with decently up-to-date
                      > software. These formats will result in larger files than JPEG, but
                      > the way that JPEG gets small files is by throwing away detail. NEVER
                      > save as a JPEG until you are all done resizing, cropping, retouching,
                      > color-correcting, etc. Every time you save a JPEG, it further degrades
                      > the image.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Chuck Linsley
                      > linsley@...

                      > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
                      > address, use editor@...

                      > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
                      > address, use editor@...
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Michael Stupinski
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                        By the way, I wouldn't get too upset about having already saved many of
                        the files as JPEG. The loss will probably be minor on the first save.
                        If the next time the file is opened it is saved as a TIFF no further
                        degradation will have taken place. If a JPEG file is repeatedly opened
                        and resaved as a JPEG, further loss will take place each time it is
                        saved, but the first time should be no problem, particularly if it
                        isn't saved with high compression.