Organizing and Preserving Family Photos

  • ngchesnutt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2005
      I have many old family photographs from one side of my family and very
      few from my mother's side. On my husband's side I have borrowed
      photographs and had copies made. I plan on putting them in albums
      starting with the ones of my husband and working back the five
      generations that I have. I only have about a dozen snapshots to deal
      with for my husband growing up years. On my side of the family there
      are very few formal photographs of my Mother's family and I am going to
      do the same thing. On my Father's side are many photographs, snapshots
      and pictures taken of old family portraits. There again I am putting
      them in albums according to generations and plan on printing out a
      family tree that shows "who is who". I have had three copies made of
      each picture and am doing an album for each of our children.
      Fortunately my paternal grandmother wrote names on all of her
      photographs. The photographs that are not direct family are being given
      to people who are more closely related. I am trying to collect pictures
      of my eight great uncles and aunts on my Mother's side because I grew
      up knowing all of them. I have also tried to return pictures of my
      grandmother's college friends (she finished in 1908) to descendants. If
      the only picture of an ancestor is not very good I still plan on
      putting it in an album. My only debate with myself has been whether to
      work the old snapshots taken by my grandmother in with the more formal
      studio photographs. My grandmother took many pictures and her black and
      white negatives still print reasonably well. A good many of these
      pictures have been scanned to CDs and put in a safe deposit box. As
      technology changes they may need to be updated. I am using Creative
      Memories albums but am not planning on using stickers, etc. for these
      albums. After what I am calling the Ancestor books are done I will
      start in on the 60 years of pictures I have taken over the years -- if
      I live long enough!! All of my some 1,600 slides have been culled and
      are on CDs and I had prints made of the ones I want to put in an album.

      I would welcome any comments and suggestions!
    • Gwen Hopkins
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1 11:36 AM
        I'm sure that each person with this problem has a different idea. I can tell you what not to do. Don't just scan them and drop them in a generic file labled photo's. I'm now going back through all of my many family photo disks and placeing them in files labled with the appropeate family. With in the large family I'm creating sub families so that it is easier to find the different photo's

        I've also discovered that scanning a photo once at at least 600 dpi's and saving it is best. You can then size that scan to what ever size you need. This is better for the orginal photo as once you have a good scan or copy you can store the orginal away and not comprise it. Make at least one copy of you scaned photo so that you don't lose it.

        I have a master copy and a file that is a copy of my master. I use the copy of the master to resize and copy for family members keeping my master copy for in case something happens to my copy of the master copy. I would also suggest that you make copies that are not stored on your computer's hard drive as the hard drive can become corrupted and you will lose all of the photo's stored on it. Store your photo's in a JPEG format as most computers can read that format.

        G Hopkins

        Ann Stewart <annstewart@...> wrote:
        We have boxes and boxes of family photos that we want to organize and
        preserve for our enjoyment and for future generations, and I'm
        interested in knowing how others have done this. We have:

        - Some very old pictures from past generations. (This includes
        some pictures of people we can't identify.) This is not a large quantity
        of pictures, so storing and organizing isn't overwhelming. We're just
        trying to be sure we preserve them. My husband scans them for his
        genealogy records, and we preserve the originals.

        - My parents' collection of pictures, mostly our family as we
        were growing up. Some are duplicates; some are photographer portraits;
        most are just snapshots of varying quality. A lot of them aren't
        labeled, but right now we know who most of them are. (Future generations
        won't, so whatever we do with these pictures needs to be done now.)
        There are a LOT of pictures, and I wonder if we should pare them down to
        the best ones and organize them. (Space is a consideration, but It's
        very hard for me to think of discarding even the most out-of-focus
        family picture. I am just paralyzed on this project, not being able to
        decide how to begin.)

        - Our own very large collection of pictures that we've
        accumulated as a family-many treasured pictures are colored snapshots
        that have yellowed. Some of them I mounted in those magnetic photo
        albums before I knew better. Many others are in drawers waiting for me
        to figure out how I want to handle them.

        I'm sure ours isn't a unique situation, and I'm interested in what
        others have done.

        I appreciate any experience and suggestions you can share.

        Ann Stewart

      • Arleen
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1 12:10 PM
          Like the rest of you I also have piles of photos along with piles of
          other genealogical info. I found 2 different programs available to help
          organize.
          Bygones which is freeware
          HYPERLINK
          "http://home.utah-inter.net/bygones/"http://home.utah-inter.net/bygones/

          Clooz
          HYPERLINK "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/

          I tried Bygones and found it not very user friendly for my needs. But
          the cost is nil and if you can figure it out I would guess it is a great
          program.

          I did purchase Clooz and have found it a very workable program to
          organize photos. (and my other paperwork) You basically give a photo an
          id # and then describe who is in the photo. As you add more photos you
          link the persons in the pic. So when you run a report you can find that
          you have 5 pictures that have aunt Mary and maybe only 4 with uncle
          Charley. You can add thumbnails to the database which also helps. You
          also enter the location of the photo - ie: in the Smith binder or show
          the electronic location (cd, hd, or memory stick)

          I have no financial gains in either of these programs just thought
          others might find these a good way to organize.

          Arleen

        • Michael Stupinski
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1 3:19 PM
            Just a gentle reminder to provide, when known, what computer platforms
            a program is available for. It may not be known in each case, of
            course, but if it is, time can be saved by knowing that up front.

            Thanks,
            ................Mike

            On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Arleen wrote:

            > Like the rest of you I also have piles of photos along with piles of
            > other genealogical info. I found 2 different programs available to help
            > organize.
            > Bygones which is freeware
            > HYPERLINK
            > "http://home.utah-inter.net/bygones/"http://home.utah-inter.net/
            > bygones/
            >

            > Clooz
            > HYPERLINK "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/
            >
            > I tried Bygones and found it not very user friendly for my needs. But
            > the cost is nil and if you can figure it out I would guess it is a
            > great
            > program.
            >
            > I did purchase Clooz and have found it a very workable program to
            > organize photos. (and my other paperwork) You basically give a photo an
            > id # and then describe who is in the photo. As you add more photos you
            > link the persons in the pic. So when you run a report you can find that
            > you have 5 pictures that have aunt Mary and maybe only 4 with uncle
            > Charley. You can add thumbnails to the database which also helps. You
            > also enter the location of the photo - ie: in the Smith binder or show
            > the electronic location (cd, hd, or memory stick)
            >
            > I have no financial gains in either of these programs just thought
            > others might find these a good way to organize.
            >
            > Arleen
            >

            > --

            > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
            > address, use editor@...
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Arleen
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1 3:29 PM
              Mike and All
              Bygones is PC or Mac
              Clooz is PC

              sorry I forgot that
              Arleen

              "HYPERLINK "http://home.utah-inter.net/"http://home.utah-inter.net/

              "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/"HYPERLINK
              "http://www.clooz.com/"http://www.clooz.com/

              > I tried Bygones and found it not very user friendly for my needs. But
              > the cost is nil and if you can figure it out I would guess it is a
              > great
              > program.
              >
              > I did purchase Clooz and have found it a very workable program to
              > organize photos. (and my other paperwork) You basically give a photo
              an
              > id # and then describe who is in the photo. As you add more photos you
              > link the persons in the pic. So when you run a report you can find
              that
              > you have 5 pictures that have aunt Mary and maybe only 4 with uncle
              > Charley. You can add thumbnails to the database which also helps. You
              > also enter the location of the photo - ie: in the Smith binder or show
              > the electronic location (cd, hd, or memory stick)
              >
              > I have no financial gains in either of these programs just thought
              > others might find these a good way to organize.
              >
              > Arleen
              >

              > --
              >

              > GenPhoto HYPERLINK
              "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
              enphoto/
              > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
              > address, use editor@...
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              GenPhoto HYPERLINK
              "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
              enphoto/
              Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
              use editor@...

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              HYPERLINK
              "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g
              enphoto/

              HYPERLINK
              "mailto:genphoto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"genphot

            • Michael Stupinski
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1 3:35 PM
                I should add that I have checked these recommendations and Clooz is
                available only for Windows 9x, 2000, ME and XP. Bygones, on the other
                hand, is available for Windows 95/98/ME/XP and NT as well as MacOS 8.1
                and higher, and OS 10 (OS X). In the case of the Mac, be sure to get
                the right version for your OS.
                .............Mike

              • Michael Stupinski
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1 3:36 PM
                  Boy, you're quick Arleen! Thanks.

                  .........Mike

                  On Jun 1, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Arleen wrote:

> [...]
                  >>

                  > GenPhoto HYPERLINK
                  > "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/
                  > group/g
                  > enphoto/
                  > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
                  > use editor@...
                  >

                  > _____

                  > HYPERLINK
                  > "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/"http://groups.yahoo.com/
                  > group/g
                  > enphoto/

                  > HYPERLINK
                  > "mailto:genphoto-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
                  > subject=Unsubscribe"genphot
                  > o-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  >

                  > * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the HYPERLINK
                  > "http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/"Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                  >

                  > --

                  > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner

                • Chuck Linsley
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1 3:49 PM
                    Gwen Hopkins said:
                    > Store your photo's in a JPEG format as most
                    > computers can read that format.

                    Your master scan should NOT be saved in JPEG format. Either TIFF or
                    PNG should also be useable on any computer with decently up-to-date
                    software. These formats will result in larger files than JPEG, but
                    the way that JPEG gets small files is by throwing away detail. NEVER
                    save as a JPEG until you are all done resizing, cropping, retouching,
                    color-correcting, etc. Every time you save a JPEG, it further degrades
                    the image.

                    --
                    Chuck Linsley
                    linsley@...
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1 6:36 PM
                      It's sad that I didn't join this kind of group when I first started scanning and saving my family photo's. I have learned all I know by trail and error. Sometimes it's been a sad experance. I started saving all of my photo file in a JPEG so that my cousins that use MAC's could read them, and also because they import into most photo editing programs. Can MAC user's read a TIFF?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 1 7:14 PM
                        I believe Macs can read every graphics format that a Windows machine
                        can read, including JPEG and TIFF. I haven't encountered any
                        exceptions to that, but if there are any I'm sure someone here who has
                        run into one will let us know.

                        ........Mike

                        On Jun 1, 2005, at 9:36 PM, Gwen Hopkins wrote:

                        > It's sad that I didn't join this kind of group when I first started
                        > scanning and saving my family photo's. I have learned all I know by
                        > trail and error. Sometimes it's been a sad experance. I started
                        > saving all of my photo file in a JPEG so that my cousins that use
                        > MAC's could read them, and also because they import into most photo
                        > editing programs. Can MAC user's read a TIFF?
                        >
                        > Chuck Linsley <linsley@...> wrote:
                        > Gwen Hopkins said:
                        >> Store your photo's in a JPEG format as most
                        >> computers can read that format.
                        >
                        > Your master scan should NOT be saved in JPEG format. Either TIFF or
                        > PNG should also be useable on any computer with decently up-to-date
                        > software. These formats will result in larger files than JPEG, but
                        > the way that JPEG gets small files is by throwing away detail. NEVER
                        > save as a JPEG until you are all done resizing, cropping, retouching,
                        > color-correcting, etc. Every time you save a JPEG, it further degrades
                        > the image.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Chuck Linsley
                        > linsley@...

                        > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
                        > address, use editor@...

                        > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner
                        > address, use editor@...
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Michael Stupinski
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 1 7:22 PM
                          By the way, I wouldn't get too upset about having already saved many of
                          the files as JPEG. The loss will probably be minor on the first save.
                          If the next time the file is opened it is saved as a TIFF no further
                          degradation will have taken place. If a JPEG file is repeatedly opened
                          and resaved as a JPEG, further loss will take place each time it is
                          saved, but the first time should be no problem, particularly if it
                          isn't saved with high compression.