Re: Slightly OT information...

  • Historic Photo Archive
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2005
      I think used scanners are a good idea, since new warranties expire at only
      12 months now. Microtek will not sell parts or service for any scanner out
      of warranty, and I hear Epson has adopted this policy too. So when my new
      Artixscan that cost $1450 needed repair at the tender age of 14 months, all
      the factory offered to do is exchange it for $850 plus shipping. The only
      problem with it was a line in the scan, which turned out to be dirt on the
      mirror. I did not want to throw good money after bad, so I learned how to
      clean it myself.

      Last January I needed a oversize scanner (A3 size, 11x17") and new Microtek
      was $1500, new Epson was $2600, used ones were $600 with no guarantee. So I
      bought a used Umax Mirage IISE on ebay for $75 plus shipping. The seller
      packed it poorly and it was destroyed in shipping. Postal insurance does
      not cover damage to equipment if there is no visible sign of damage on the
      outside of the box. Well, the seller was liquidating a pallet load of them,
      and he sent me another one, which worked fine after cleaning.

      In a scanner, the image goes through two glass surfaces and three mirrors
      before the lens. If you look at the glass surface inside a scanner that is
      a year or more old, you will see all the haze, and that is cumulative on all
      the mirrors too. Scanners need to be dismantled and cleaned every six
      months or so. If you find yourself using the sharpening tool in photoshop
      to fix unsharp scans, that is probably what is wrong.

      I used denatured alcohol and tissue to clean the mirrors, and water on the
      glass. I got a decent oversize scanner and saved a thousand dollars or
      more.
      --
      Thomas Robinson
      http://www.historicphotoarchive.com