[genphoto] Re: Why scan?

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 3, 2000
      After thinking some more on this issue, I forgot to add the main reason why
      I scan.

      When I ask myself why I scan my family photographs and store them on discs,
      the answer I come up with is emergency pervertedness. We have far too many
      family papers and photographs, even dedicated glass negatives and
      ambrotypes, to carry from the house in the event of a fire, flood or other
      disaster. But most of these can be stored on a handful of CDs, which can be
      grabbed in a hurry, stored compactly in a safety deposit box or distributed
      widely to relatives. In nature, there is safety in numbers. That is why I
      am attracted to digital storage.

      However, there is no "one true way" to preservation because each method of
      storage or conservation involves human frailty. People are the weakest link
      in any technological chain. The processor at the local photo shop may use
      old or watered down chemicals, they may make "black & white" copies of your
      pictures that are really color print film processed through the one-hour
      machine, they may allow the temperature of development chemicals to vary by
      a few degrees rendering the supposedly archival process unreliable. Digital
      formats may become orphaned or obsolete, disk drives sold as reliable may
      crash and destroy the data they are supposed to keep safe, people may not
      understand how to properly save image files or migrate them to new formats
      without loss of quality. In any technique, there is room for human error,
      greed or stupidity that may render the chosen method of preservation
      inadequate.

      Steve
      Steve Knoblock popular history
      editor@... of photography
      http://www.city-gallery.com/ and genealogy
    • Ngchesnutt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 4, 2000
        In a message dated 2/3/2000 19:32:36, knoblock@... writes:

        << When I ask myself why I scan my family photographs and store them on discs,
        the answer I come up with is emergency pervertedness. We have far too many
        family papers and photographs, even dedicated glass negatives and
        ambrotypes, to carry from the house in the event of a fire, flood or other
        disaster. But most of these can be stored on a handful of CDs, which can be
        grabbed in a hurry, stored compactly in a safety deposit box or distributed
        widely to relatives. In nature, there is safety in numbers. That is why I
        am attracted to digital storage. >>

        This is most probably the best reason of all. When we have a hurricane
        evacuation I cram my trunk full of my old pictures, family bibles and my four
        three inch thick archival notebooks filled with Print File negative pages and
        my 10 boxes with the all my old slides. Clothes can be replaced but not these
        items! Last time I forgot the old family movies. Sure would be nice to get
        the movies and slides transferred to an easier to transport, and view,
        system. I am really interested in all the comments on 8mm movie film.