Bet this will stump you . . .

  • Dol Sol
    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2005
      In letterpress printing, all type was set up backwards in metal, and photos
      were converted into dots, looking somewhat like today's negatives. Photos
      then had to be backed by wood, to bring the entire page up to the height of
      the type and headlines. Someone gave me two of these metal photos, backed
      by wood, and I'd like to know how to get an image from it without inking
      into the dots and potentially destroying it! One is a portrait of a man,
      about 2 by 3 inches.

      -- Delaware Dolores
    • John C. Jernigan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13, 2005
        This is interesting. I have never done this, but the first thing I would
        try is scanning at a high resolution (600 dpi) and then opening the file
        in Photoshop. You might get a negative image, but it can be reversed in
        Photoshop. Then the image can possibly be enhanced/restored.
        As I said, I have never worked on this type of photo, and I cannot
        guarantee success, but would love to see if it is possible. What I'm
        suggesting would not damage the photo in any way.
        Please keep me informed on your progress.
        Best regards
        John J.

        Dol Sol wrote:

        >In letterpress printing, all type was set up backwards in metal, and photos
        >were converted into dots, looking somewhat like today's negatives. Photos
        >then had to be backed by wood, to bring the entire page up to the height of
        >the type and headlines. Someone gave me two of these metal photos, backed
        >by wood, and I'd like to know how to get an image from it without inking
        >into the dots and potentially destroying it! One is a portrait of a man,
        >about 2 by 3 inches.
        >
        >-- Delaware Dolores

        >Post message: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
        >Subscribe: genphoto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME BEFORE MAIL STOPS! ASK YAHOO ABOUT IT! NOT ME!
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Gwen Hopkins
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2005
          You might also try taking a photo of them with either a film or digital camera making sure that you have a good light source that will not throw shadows. When I do this I have set up a box with a hole for my camera lens and a couple of lights that will light below my camera. Then you can import into a photo editing program.

          good luck
          G Hopkins