Creating PDF

  • Merv Leeding
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2005
      G'day Susan

      >How do you scan something to a PDF? I've got some text stuff that
      >I've scanned that I'd like to convert to PDF and don't have a clue!

      You need the full Acrobat program for best control.

      For example you can open a range of files singly or in groups into Acrobat
      and then save as PDF. The range includes text, Office documents, all the
      common graphic formats, HTML annd XML.

      Within Acrobat you can scan anything and that will of course be an image.
      If the content is text or has text then Acrobat will perform OCR on the
      text and that gets the file size down. If Acrobat cannot recongize a letter
      it will leave the original letter scan and not substitute something like ~
      as other OCR programs do.

      There are free alternatives to Acrobat like pdf995 but as far as I know
      they all work as a printer driver for programs like Word and don't offer
      direct import or scanning.

      Acrobat is expensive unless you qualify for an educational version.

      Regards
      Merv Leeding
    • Ruth
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2005
        Can someone please tell me how to convert PDF to some other form of text.

        Thanks,
        Ruth
        >>How do you scan something to a PDF? I've got some text stuff that
        >>I've scanned that I'd like to convert to PDF and don't have a clue!
        >
        > You need the full Acrobat program for best control.
        >
        > For example you can open a range of files singly or in groups into Acrobat
        > and then save as PDF. The range includes text, Office documents, all the
        > common graphic formats, HTML annd XML.
        >
        > Within Acrobat you can scan anything and that will of course be an image.
        > If the content is text or has text then Acrobat will perform OCR on the
        > text and that gets the file size down. If Acrobat cannot recongize a letter
        > it will leave the original letter scan and not substitute something like ~
        > as other OCR programs do.
        >
        > There are free alternatives to Acrobat like pdf995 but as far as I know
        > they all work as a printer driver for programs like Word and don't offer
        > direct import or scanning.
        >
        > Acrobat is expensive unless you qualify for an educational version.
        >

        > Regards
        > Merv Leeding

        > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
        > editor@...
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • mikeearlsus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2005
          Scansoft's Paperport will scan to PDF's at a fraction of the cost of
          Adobe.

          Mike

        • LRiffey007@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2005
            Scansofts PaperPort is a great software at a reasonable price. I use it to
            scan and store all my genealogy documents and pictures.

            Larry

          • Ruth
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
              If you go to www.pdf995.com you can turn a Word file into a PDF for free. This is
              probably true for other file formats, like WordPerfect.

              Ruth

              >>How do you scan something to a PDF? I've got some text stuff that
              >>I've scanned that I'd like to convert to PDF and don't have a clue!
              >
              > You need the full Acrobat program for best control.
              >
              > For example you can open a range of files singly or in groups into Acrobat
              > and then save as PDF. The range includes text, Office documents, all the
              > common graphic formats, HTML annd XML.
              >
              > Within Acrobat you can scan anything and that will of course be an image.
              > If the content is text or has text then Acrobat will perform OCR on the
              > text and that gets the file size down. If Acrobat cannot recongize a letter
              > it will leave the original letter scan and not substitute something like ~
              > as other OCR programs do.
              >
              > There are free alternatives to Acrobat like pdf995 but as far as I know
              > they all work as a printer driver for programs like Word and don't offer
              > direct import or scanning.
              >
              > Acrobat is expensive unless you qualify for an educational version.
              >

              > Regards
              > Merv Leeding

              > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
              > editor@...
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ruth
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 11, 2005
                I see Merv referred to this free program in his reply. Sorry for the repetition.

                Ruth