scanners pt 2

  • Historic Photo Archive
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2005
      I just wanted to mention that you can get good results off cheap scanners if
      you replace the software. Most scanner drivers are where the poor results
      originate.

      If you can figure out how to disable all the automatic features on your
      scanner software and just use your driver to run the motor and light, and
      your scanner driver permits you to use the high quality mode (which is "48
      BIT RGB" or 16 BIT GREYSCALE) then you can get excellent results off most
      scanners.

      Using automatic controls guarantees you will not get publication quality,
      you will get clipped and banded scans.

      --
      Thomas Robinson
      441 NE Jarrett St.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 14, 2005
        --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, Historic Photo Archive <tom@h...> wrote:
        > I just wanted to mention that you can get good results off cheap
        scanners if
        > you replace the software. Most scanner drivers are where the poor
        results
        > originate.
        >
        > If you can figure out how to disable all the automatic features on your
        > scanner software and just use your driver to run the motor and
        light, and
        > your scanner driver permits you to use the high quality mode (which
        is "48
        > BIT RGB" or 16 BIT GREYSCALE) then you can get excellent results off
        most
        > scanners.

        What software to you then use to run the scanner if you disable the
        native stuff?

        How do you scan something to a PDF? I've got some text stuff that
        I've scanned that I'd like to convert to PDF and don't have a clue!

        thanks,
        Susan