scanners

  • Historic Photo Archive
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2005
      here are the best three scanner groups:
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.periphs.scanners
      DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com
      ScanHi-End@yahoogroups.com (do not post until you get the gist of the group,
      they are not into discussing flatbeds)

      There are many more, check Yahoo groups, i prefer the advanced groups.

      As to the 11x17 A3 scanner,
      there is one cheap one, a Mustek. Complete piece of junk, i bought one
      about a month ago, it was so bad that I just threw it in the dumpster. It
      cannot be used with professional software, no twain, cannot set levels,
      impossible to get a decent scan. It is by far the worst scanner I have ever
      seen, it was laughable how bad I got taken on that one!

      Most A3 size scanners are $1000-$2500, the top two in that price range are
      the Microtek 9800XL and the Epson Expression 10000XL.

      I am buying the oversize scanner for a specific job reproducing old
      publications, so the quality is not a big issue, and I am only making $2000
      on those scans so I didn't want to spend all the profit on buying a scanner
      just for the one job. I have been hunting on Ebay for a used one, here is a
      Umax Mirage 2se that I bought last week for $75, the seller had two of them,
      apparently a government surplus sale out of Detroit. This was a $3500
      scanner when. I have experience with Umax and think it is a quality
      scanner.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5150748721

      --
      Thomas Robinson