Managing the collection

  • lkturnerj
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2005
      My background is computers/Internet, so my expectations are probably
      a little bit on the high side. My first thought for viewing/
      distributing the image collection was a family member only website
      that allowed family members to submit new pictures, leave comments
      about new/existing pictures, including names of people in the photos,
      places and times. The images would be searchable by people, place,
      time, comments, original source, etc. In addition, it would be able
      to store multiple copies of the same image (scan of original print,
      high quality scan of negative, thumbnail, repaired photo, etc). The
      backend database needs to be in an open format for easy integration
      with other projects.

      I'm prepared to create a custom solution myself, but would rather
      not reinvent the wheel. Does anyone know of any existing software
      packages that are close to this, preferably for Windows? I'm already
      using PhpGedView for an online family tree and will want some sort of
      interface between the image collection and PhpGedView.

      Keith
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2005
        Keith,
        If the goal is picture identification, consider the needs of the potential
        family story tellers ahead of your own. Let them start with organized
        pictures of themselves then parents & siblings. Often pictures of siblings,
        cousins or father-son *look* the same when scanned as black & white.
        Original picture format, background, clothing, or location found would all
        be clues lost in an edited web site copy of "unidentified pictures."

        After ten years of daily Internet use and 16 years of computer genealogy, I
        still have problems with complex searches.

        You might want to consider an organization method that would allow copying
        of pictures for different branches to a backup product OFF the Internet. A
        first cousin might want all the pictures for people related to the common
        grandparents but not your other grandparents or spouses' relatives.

        I had "too many" family pictures (including source documents, negatives &
        slides of various sizes) scanned by 1997 to fit on a single CD. Older
        relatives enjoyed printed scrapbooks with captions telling the life story of
        each individual or marriage-household. Viewing of pictures on a computer or
        television requires a personal visit but anyone who can hold a pencil can
        make notes on a paper printout when they feel like looking at pictures for a
        few minutes.

        Inherited a lot of pictures from distant relatives including Grandma's
        cousin & spouse who had a near record marriage 1917-1988 and three family
        histories unrelated to our common branch.

        Printed family charts with photos are important for "interviews" so that I
        know if someone is mixing up stories about family members. Even in the
        immediate family, the new baby is sometimes referred to by his older
        brother's name by his own mother. My grandfather and mother-in-law must have
        passed it down. -- Elizabeth