Internet Subscriptions

  • erikalambert
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
      I'm thinking of getting a subscription to either ancestry.com or
      genealogy.com and wondered what everyone out there thinks of either
      one. What do people recommend?
    • Tom Knox
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
        Not specifically a "GenPhoto" question, but here goes -

        I've been subscribing to both, because each one has some unique
        databases and census indexes (indices?), and they store their
        census images differently (.JPG versus .GIF), and each has
        the state/county/town indexed a bit differently;
        also, Ancestry.com seems to have more "broken links"
        in trying to find a specific census image.

        However, that being said, you should know that Ancestry.com
        has bought Genealogy.com, and any new databases seem to be added to
        Ancestry.com - as well as some Genealogy.com databases now appearing
        on Ancestry.com.

        Bottom line - if you're going to join just one, do Ancestry.com .

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "erikalambert" wrote:
        > I'm thinking of getting a subscription to either ancestry.com or
        > genealogy.com and wondered what everyone out there thinks of either
        > one. What do people recommend?
      • Janet Tabares
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
          I'm an Ancestry.com subscriber and I have had some issues with the broken
          links as well. Another member pointed a website out that has a way to get
          to those images from another route, but you still need to have a
          subscription to Ancestry.com for it work.
          Here is the link for anyone that is interested.
          http://www.stevemorse.org/census/
          You can look for information on 1930 and 1910 US Census's.
          Hope this helps!

          > Not specifically a "GenPhoto" question, but here goes -
          >
          > I've been subscribing to both, because each one has some unique
          > databases and census indexes (indices?), and they store their
          > census images differently (.JPG versus .GIF), and each has
          > the state/county/town indexed a bit differently;
          > also, Ancestry.com seems to have more "broken links"
          > in trying to find a specific census image.
          >
          > However, that being said, you should know that Ancestry.com
          > has bought Genealogy.com, and any new databases seem to be added to
          > Ancestry.com - as well as some Genealogy.com databases now appearing
          > on Ancestry.com.
          >
          > Bottom line - if you're going to join just one, do Ancestry.com .
          >
          > - Tom Knox
          >
          > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "erikalambert" wrote:
          >> I'm thinking of getting a subscription to either ancestry.com or
          >> genealogy.com and wondered what everyone out there thinks of either
          >> one. What do people recommend?

          > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
          > use editor@...
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Janet Tabares
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
            Oops, here is the link that you need to get to the images.

            http://www.stevemorse.org/census/ancestry1910images.html

            > Not specifically a "GenPhoto" question, but here goes -
            >
            > I've been subscribing to both, because each one has some unique
            > databases and census indexes (indices?), and they store their
            > census images differently (.JPG versus .GIF), and each has
            > the state/county/town indexed a bit differently;
            > also, Ancestry.com seems to have more "broken links"
            > in trying to find a specific census image.
            >
            > However, that being said, you should know that Ancestry.com
            > has bought Genealogy.com, and any new databases seem to be added to
            > Ancestry.com - as well as some Genealogy.com databases now appearing
            > on Ancestry.com.
            >
            > Bottom line - if you're going to join just one, do Ancestry.com .
            >
            > - Tom Knox
            >
            > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "erikalambert" wrote:
            >> I'm thinking of getting a subscription to either ancestry.com or
            >> genealogy.com and wondered what everyone out there thinks of either
            >> one. What do people recommend?

            > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
            > use editor@...
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 10, 2004
              If you are mainly interested in Census images, try godfrey.org. It's a public library in Conneticut and a yearly membership is very inexpensive. They have all the census's online and all but 1930 is completely indexed
              I'm thinking of getting a subscription to either ancestry.com or
              genealogy.com and wondered what everyone out there thinks of either
              one. What do people recommend?

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Get unlimited calls to

              U.S./Canada