Re: [genphoto] Glue

  • Historic Photo Archive
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2004
      Although this is not clear from your description, it appears that you are
      framing photographs by getting a pre-made mat, then attaching the photo to
      the front mat by some means, and your question is how to attach the backing
      board to the front mat board.

      Framers use a special gun called an ATG. It is made by Scotch specifically
      for picture framers, you can get more details by doing a google search for
      "Scotch ATG 700". The glue is a dry film that is sticky on both sides.

      The ATG is suitable for attaching the front of the mat to the back, but keep
      the glue away from the photo. Wet glue would not be an acceptable
      alternative. Double sided tape (with sticky adhesive on both sides of the
      tape, available at major office supply stores) would probably work ok. Use
      as little as possible.

      Caution: These products are not intended to mount the photograph itself.
      They will destroy any and all photographs that they touch. Keep this stuff,
      or any glue or other tape, well away from the photograph.

      If your question is how to attach the photograph itself, to either the mat
      or backing board, that is a different question entirely, there are easy and
      safe ways to do it but glue and tape are not considered acceptable if the
      life expectancy of the picture needs to be more than a few months.

      good luck
      Tom Robinson
      http://www.historicphotoarchive.com

    • HDMShort@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 12, 2004
        Hi List:
        I'm looking for glue, tape or whatever to fasten my 4x6 photographs inside
        the matte. Does any one recommend an archival tape or glue that can be safely
        used for this purpose?

      • Linda D
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 12, 2004
          Harry,

          If you have a Michael's near you they have archival tape and glue.

          Linda

          HDMShort@... wrote:

          >Hi List:
          >I'm looking for glue, tape or whatever to fasten my 4x6 photographs inside
          >the matte. Does any one recommend an archival tape or glue that can be safely
          >used for this purpose?
          >Thanks,
          > Harry

          >Post message: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
          >Subscribe: genphoto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME BEFORE MAIL STOPS! ASK YAHOO ABOUT IT! NOT ME!
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • The Heck's
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 13, 2004
            I recommend any of the Creative Memories Adhesives. You can go to
            www.CreativeMemories.com to find a consultant near you.

            I've been a customer over 10 years and a consultant for 5. I use the
            various tapes on mattes as well as in my albums.

            Peace,
            Kimberly*
            in Mt Pleasant, SC

            HDMShort@... wrote:

            > Hi List:
            > I'm looking for glue, tape or whatever to fasten my 4x6 photographs
            > inside
            > the matte. Does any one recommend an archival tape or glue that can be
            > safely
            > used for this purpose?
            > Thanks,
            > Harry

          • Historic Photo Archive
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 13, 2004
              There is no such thing as archival tape or glue, archival mounting means
              that any procedure to the photograph is fully reversible. Use archival
              corners made by Light Impressions cat # 5264, cost is $7.95 for 200, check
              their shipping rates because they have those annoying handling fees. This
              product is available in most art supply stores, which might be cheaper and
              easier for you. It does not damage the photograph and IMHO works very well.

              The only tape that is widely accepted among professional photograph
              conservators is the Filmoplast P, which is about $20 a roll. This tape is
              not very sticky. If you have borderless prints, it is not recommended.

              The ATG double sided adhesive is the most widely used product for this
              application by professional picture framers. However no double sided tape
              is considered safe for photographs, even though it is "acid free".

              From a practical standpoint, if you are selling photographs and don't care
              how long they last, then use the ATG because it is the cheapest and easiest
              solution. If you want the photo's life expectancy to be at least as long as
              your children's, then avoid all glues, tape and adhesives on either side of
              photographs.

              One additional point about the mounting paper, do not use a "buffered" paper
              for modern color prints. Although most photographs made from 1900 to 1960
              are best preserved on buffered paper, some react against it. Most widely
              used brands of color paper found at 4x6 labs suffer accelerated red fading
              from contact with alkaline buffered paper. Color prints on RC paper need
              neutral ph.

              If life expectancy of your prints is an issue, check the paper type that
              your photofinisher uses and see if it is permanent, i think right now that
              the Fuji and Konica papers are the most permanent, and Agfa and Kodak are
              the least permanent.

              Good luck

              Tom Robinson
            • Linda D
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 13, 2004
                Tim,.

                I am looking at a tube of "glue" or that's what they call it and it is
                said to be archival safe. I have use it so many time that the name is
                no longer legible, but it can be purchased it at Michael's, I believe.
                It is not a glue like we know glue. It isn't wet, but almost like a
                rubber and you can remove the picture or what ever you are working with
                just by rubbing your finger over the "glue". This product was given
                first given to my by a friend that works at the Smithsonian.

                Linda

              • HDMShort@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 15, 2004
                  HI List:
                  Thanks to all who helped me with my gooey glue.