Photo Printer

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2004
      I am looking to buy a new photo printer. The one I have I really like but I
      have to use an adapter for it to read and download my x D Picture cards.
      This has been causing problems lately and I am ready to move on.

      I have been looking at an hp Photosmart 7960. Does anyone have one of
      these? If so what are your good point and bad points. If you have
      something else give me your gp and bp on those also.

      Thanks, Linda

    • Historic Photo Archive
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2004
        I recommend pigment printers, because the print will last much longer than
        printers using dye inks. Dye inks will fade, whereas pigment prints will
        last much longer than dye or most generally used chemical photos (not
        including archival fiber prints, which are still the "holy grail" that
        digital aspires to)

        I use the Epson 2200, and this series of printers uses the "Ultrachrome"
        inks, and I highly recommend it.

        The new series of Epson has just come out, but only the smallest printer for
        8.5x11", it is the R800. To summarize the advantages:
        * DIFFERENT INKS the old printer used cyan, light cyan, magenta, light
        magenta, yellow, black and gray. Because the new printer uses smaller
        droplet size, the light inks have been eliminated, and more colors have been
        added, so you get more color.
        * BRONZING ON GLOSSY PRINTS ELIMINATED One of the problems printing on
        glossy paper is the metallic sheen of the ink when viewed at certain angles.
        The new printer applies a varnish over the entire print (the varnish is in
        an ink cartridge) and eliminates this problem.

        There are other improvements as well, and the new printer will be made in
        larger sizes, I expect within two years you will be able to buy it in any
        size up to 60" wide.

        Whichever printer you buy, it is important to select ink and paper that
        works together well, by checking the Wilhelm site tests. A friend of mine
        tried to use a good paper and archival ink, and found that the ink caused
        the paper to absorb humidity differently in the inked vs. white parts of the
        print, within a month his prints were a mess. He was using and Epson dye
        printer.

        tom robinson