Re: [genphoto] Best way to get rid of lines in scan

  • Nation Family6
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
      PaintShop Pro can also get rid of the lines and half-toning. I also find it a better way to go than trying to have the scanner do it. And not all scanners are able to descreen.

      Audrey in Iowa

      Historic Photo Archive <tom@...> wrote:
      HEllo, you are likely getting moire patterns. THe usual cure is to use the
      "descreen" in your scanner driver. However this is very crude and it slows
      down the scanner by triple. I recommend that you scan it straight, then
      open in photoshop, go to Filter/blur/Gaussian Blur. Up will pop a dialog
      box with a close-up of a small section of the image, and you can dial in the
      exact amount of blurring to get rid of the lines or screen pattern. This is
      much more accurate and faster.

      An advanced worker will then use the "history erase" brush to sharpen the
      eyelashes if necessary.

      --
      Thomas Robinson

    • Ruth
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
        I have PaintShopPro. How do you get rid of the lines and half-toning?

        Ruth
        > PaintShop Pro can also get rid of the lines and half-toning. I also find it a
        better way to go than trying to have the scanner do it. And not all scanners are
        able to descreen.

        > Audrey in Iowa
        >
        > Historic Photo Archive <tom@...> wrote:
        > HEllo, you are likely getting moire patterns. THe usual cure is to use the
        > "descreen" in your scanner driver. However this is very crude and it slows
        > down the scanner by triple. I recommend that you scan it straight, then
        > open in photoshop, go to Filter/blur/Gaussian Blur. Up will pop a dialog
        > box with a close-up of a small section of the image, and you can dial in the
        > exact amount of blurring to get rid of the lines or screen pattern. This is
        > much more accurate and faster.
        >
        > An advanced worker will then use the "history erase" brush to sharpen the
        > eyelashes if necessary.
        >

        > --
        > Thomas Robinson

        > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
        editor@...

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Paul Reiser (Contractor)
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
          >I have PaintShopPro. How do you get rid of the lines and half-toning?
          >
          >Ruth

          Hi Ruth - the BEST way to get rid of half toning is to convert the
          picture to a Fourier-transformed picture. This transformed picture
          looks nothing like the original, but it does have a few spots on it
          and if you manually remove the spots, and then transform back,
          like magic, the half-tone is gone (mostly). I have a program that
          does this and I could do one or two for you if thats all you need,
          but if you have a lot, that could be a problem. I don't know of
          any cheap commercial software that does a Fourier transform, maybe
          some one else knows of such a thing? I think it would be a great
          plugin for photoshop.

          Paul Reiser

          PS check out page 321 of "The image processing handbook" second
          edition by John C. Russ. This is a pretty technical book, but it
          shows pictures of how its done.
        • Paul Reiser (Contractor)
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
            >>I have PaintShopPro. How do you get rid of the lines and half-toning?
            >>
            >>Ruth

            Hi Ruth - I found this site on the web you might be interested in.
            It has information about Fourier Transform processing.

            http://www.reindeergraphics.com/tutorial/chap4/fourier13.html

            Paul Reiser
          • Ruth
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
              Thank you, Paul.

              Ruth
              > >I have PaintShopPro. How do you get rid of the lines and half-toning?
              > >
              > >Ruth
              >
              > Hi Ruth - the BEST way to get rid of half toning is to convert the
              > picture to a Fourier-transformed picture. This transformed picture
              > looks nothing like the original, but it does have a few spots on it
              > and if you manually remove the spots, and then transform back,
              > like magic, the half-tone is gone (mostly). I have a program that
              > does this and I could do one or two for you if thats all you need,
              > but if you have a lot, that could be a problem. I don't know of
              > any cheap commercial software that does a Fourier transform, maybe
              > some one else knows of such a thing? I think it would be a great
              > plugin for photoshop.
              >
              > Paul Reiser
              >
              > PS check out page 321 of "The image processing handbook" second
              > edition by John C. Russ. This is a pretty technical book, but it
              > shows pictures of how its done.

              > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
              editor@...

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Linda
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
                Ruth, I have a few programs including PaintShop Pro, but my favorite is
                PhotoSuite - I just worked on some very old pictures that a cousin scanned
                and sent to me on e-mail. I just showed my husband and he could not believe
                how great they looked.

                Linda

                I have PaintShopPro. How do you get rid of the lines and half-toning?

                Ruth
                > PaintShop Pro can also get rid of the lines and half-toning. I also find
                it a
                better way to go than trying to have the scanner do it. And not all
                scanners are
                able to descreen.

                > Audrey in Iowa
                >
                > Historic Photo Archive <tom@...> wrote:
                > HEllo, you are likely getting moire patterns. THe usual cure is to use the
                > "descreen" in your scanner driver. However this is very crude and it slows
                > down the scanner by triple. I recommend that you scan it straight, then
                > open in photoshop, go to Filter/blur/Gaussian Blur. Up will pop a dialog
                > box with a close-up of a small section of the image, and you can dial in
                the
                > exact amount of blurring to get rid of the lines or screen pattern. This
                is
                > much more accurate and faster.
                >
                > An advanced worker will then use the "history erase" brush to sharpen the
                > eyelashes if necessary.
                >

                > --
                > Thomas Robinson

                > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
                use
                editor@...

                Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
                editor@...

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

              • Rstarthistle@wmconnect.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
                  In a message dated 9/1/2004 10:43:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  lindad406@... writes:

                  > Ruth, I have a few programs including PaintShop Pro, but my favorite is
                  > PhotoSuite - I just worked on some very old pictures that a cousin scanned
                  > and sent to me on e-mail. I just showed my husband and he could not believe
                  > how great they looked.
                  >
                  > Linda

                  I've been reading the emails about lines in the scans. I came across this
                  problem when I scanned a couple of newspaper pictures. I don't have and can't
                  afford Paintshop pro. You said you have photosuite (I have that -it came with my
                  CD burner). I guess it is the same thing. Can you get rid of the lines in
                  that program?

                  Rhonda

                • Linda
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
                    Rhonda

                    Yes, once you have the picture in the program, go to Touchup then go into
                    Remove wrinkles. I have had great success working with this.

                    Let me know how it works.

                    Linda

                    lindad406@... writes:

                    > Ruth, I have a few programs including PaintShop Pro, but my favorite is
                    > PhotoSuite - I just worked on some very old pictures that a cousin scanned
                    > and sent to me on e-mail. I just showed my husband and he could not
                    believe
                    > how great they looked.
                    >
                    > Linda

                    I've been reading the emails about lines in the scans. I came across this
                    problem when I scanned a couple of newspaper pictures. I don't have and can
                    afford Paintshop pro. You said you have photosuite (I have that -it came
                    with my
                    CD burner). I guess it is the same thing. Can you get rid of the lines in
                    that program?

                    Rhonda

                    Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
                    editor@...

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  • Michael Stupinski
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
                      I also have been looking for a Fast Fourier Transform routine for
                      similar image correction purposes. In my case I particularly wanted to
                      reduce the texture shown from scanning old prints on embossed paper.
                      The Reindeer FFT was all that I found, but the least expensive way to
                      get it was (and still is) as part of their Image Processing Tool Kit
                      (IPTK), which costs $249.95. The IPTK has many other technical
                      features which, I am sure, justify its cost, but I was unable to
                      convince them to sell the FFT functionality separately or as part of
                      their Optipix 3 package, which is aimed at non-technical users.
                      (Optipix 3 is currently on sale for $134.95 until 9/16/04, BTW)

                      Maybe if more people request it they will change their minds? Looks
                      like it is the only FFT game in town.

                      .................Mike

                      On Sep 1, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Paul Reiser (Contractor) wrote:

                      >>> I have PaintShopPro. How do you get rid of the lines and half-toning?
                      >>>
                      >>> Ruth
                      >
                      > Hi Ruth - I found this site on the web you might be interested in.
                      > It has information about Fourier Transform processing.
                      >
                      > http://www.reindeergraphics.com/tutorial/chap4/fourier13.html
                      >

                      > Paul Reiser
                    • Nation Family6
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                        Sorry for the delay here, I don't check my email very often. I am an artist, so my way with PaintshopPro may not be the most technically correct.

                        I use the menu option "Adjust", then under that "Add/Remove Noise", then the options under that for removal, such as "Moire Pattern Removal".

                        Also, under "Adjust", I have had success with the "Blur" options.

                        I scanned an image from a newspaper of my grandmother, and used the remove noise options, blurred it a little, and the half toning was not noticeable.

                        I use the version 8, but the earlier ones may or may not have the removal options.

                        Good luck. Even a bad scan is better than none at all...

                        Audrey

                      • Jimmy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 10, 2004
                          I agree with Audrey;

                          I'm a professional photography and graphic artist. I use Photoshop and
                          Painter and other assorted programs on Macs.

                          I have found that best scans are made with the higest DPI's your
                          scanner and computer will allow and then later reduced for ease of
                          manipulating in editing programs.

                          I have found that to get rid of "dots" like the halftone dots found in
                          newspaper photos or those found in textured photos like Olan Mills or
                          school photos and other etch lines are easiest hidden or eliminated
                          using built in adjustments in editing programs.

                          In photoshop (or photoshop essentals) the use of the blur effect in
                          various degrees remove most problems. If this is done in a seperate
                          layer the user can go back into the photo with the erase tool and
                          "undo" the blur effect in certain areas to retain the sharpness look
                          to the image.

                          Jimmy
                          http://www.crabtreephoto.com