Re: [genphoto] Scans

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2004
      How much is "too much" would be a better question. I've had some requests to
      resize 1 mb pictures that people received as e-mail attachments.

      Consider how many pictures you want to organize on one CD (about 600 mb) or
      one DVD. What size image files will your relatives be able to view and
      print?

      A working photographer using film had photographed a bride outdoors with a
      black fly on her white sleeve. The 8x10 picture was scanned, black fly
      "removed" using a 486 computer and the new image about 1.2 mb JPG saved on a
      floppy. The photographer went home and couldn't print the file on his new
      non-Windows computer. He came back to pick up a new copy of the picture
      printed with a much less expensive Windows computer system. -- Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
          When you scan, the measurement is ppi (pixels per inch)
          When you print, the measurement is dpi (dots per inch)

          Often these terms are mixed up, it is not uncommon to see scanner software
          drivers use "dpi" incorrectly. It is a good idea to keep the concept of dpi
          and ppi in mind when thinking and deciding.

          So when you want to make an 8x10" print at 300 dpi, you need to scan the
          original at a ppi that will yield 300dpi when it is enlarged.

          Tom Robinson
        • Ruth
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
            Thanks for your posts. I learn a lot from them.

            Ruth
            > When you scan, the measurement is ppi (pixels per inch)
            > When you print, the measurement is dpi (dots per inch)
            >
            > Often these terms are mixed up, it is not uncommon to see scanner software
            > drivers use "dpi" incorrectly. It is a good idea to keep the concept of dpi
            > and ppi in mind when thinking and deciding.
            >
            > So when you want to make an 8x10" print at 300 dpi, you need to scan the
            > original at a ppi that will yield 300dpi when it is enlarged.
            >
            > Tom Robinson

            > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
            editor@...

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Historic Photo Archive
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
              The best way to decide what size to email a photo is to ask the recipient
              how large they want to print it and at what resolution. For example, they
              want a 6" wide photo to print at 300dpi. You take your tif image, resize to
              6"@300dpi, save as a jpg, and email as an attachment. That way you always
              give them exactly what they want.

              All photographers use jpg for email and tif for storage. A jpg is much
              smaller than a tif. a jpg can be emailed, and for all practical purposes a
              tif cannot be emailed. jpg images cannot be re-sized without severe
              deterioration of the image, which is why you want to send jpg files at the
              size they will actually be used as (because if they change the size it will
              deteriorate the image).

              Some ISPs, notably AOL, have filters that sometimes create problems when
              emailing photos. If the recipient of your photo is on AOL and is having
              difficulty, try emailing to their work or an alternate ISP address.

              The current industry standard size used by professional photographers for
              scans is around 60mb tif. this is what "stock agencies", which are the
              agents who sell photographers work, request. This file size is about what
              you would get from a 4000ppi scan of a medium format negative or slide film.
              (Images made with digital cameras, rather than film, contain much more image
              information in about a third of the file size.)

              For scanning originals size 5x7 or smaller, I scan at the maximum possible
              ppi (my flatbed does 1800ppi, my slide scanner does 4000ppi). I store my
              scans on hard drives. A 160 gig external hard drive in a generic case costs
              about $80 now, which is cheaper and more permanent than burning CDs, so cost
              is not a consideration when deciding file size anymore. You might as well
              have the extra quality.

              Tom Robinson
            • Carl Mautz
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15, 2004
                Hi Tom -

                I just read your message to this list. Nice to hear you're still kickin'.

                Carl