Help with old Albums

  • joyfulliving1963
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 9, 2004
      Hi,
      I am looking for some info/ideas about coverting old photo albums. I
      am a Creative Memories Consultant for many years and am very familiar
      with where to store them after the conversion. The stumbling block I
      am facing is for me and a customer.

      We both have early 1900's albums that are just falling apart. We
      would love to keep it similar to the originals. But also want to keep
      the items safe from any further deterioration.

      *How do we remove the old photos, newspaper clippings, lace, etc from
      the page without damaging the the items?

      *Both albums are two sided, so that feels like a challenge. We wanted
      to keep some of the journaling that was written on the original pages.
      Any ideas?

      Since these are so dear to the families and since they are very
      historic we want to feel sure before we begin this project. Is there
      anyone who has done this? Please feel free to offer encouragement and
      helpful tips of what worked and didn't work for you.

      Thank you so much,
      Kimberly*
      rkheck@...
    • LisaHBskt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 11, 2004
        In a message dated 8/11/2004 10:05:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        rkheck@... writes:
        *Both albums are two sided, so that feels like a challenge. We wanted
        to keep some of the journaling that was written on the original pages.
        Any ideas?
        If there is journalling on both sides in the same place on a page, You might
        try a quality color photocopy for one of the sides and use the original for
        the other side. Another possibility is photographing it and using a photo of
        one side of the journaling.

        Un-Do may be helpful for removing some items. Another idea is to cut up the
        pages with lace and keep it intact to the paper if you feel removal may damge
        the items. If they are those black scrapbook pages and you use the black CM
        pages, you wont notice it as much.

        Hope this helps!

        Lisa Harley

      • The Heck's
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 12, 2004
          Thanks Lisa,
          Great Ideas. Some of the pages do have writing on both sides in the
          same place.

          Does anyone know the best way and most ecconomical option for copying
          the pages. These are very large albums.
          My album pages were white at one time, now yellowed from the lignan and
          age. I think that is the same for my friend, too.

          I hadn't thought about taking a picture, that may be another great
          option for some of it. I think we will need to use many techniques to
          complete these albums.

          Thanks again,
          Kimberly*
          in SC

          LisaHBskt@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 8/11/2004 10:05:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > rkheck@... writes:
          > *Both albums are two sided, so that feels like a challenge. We wanted
          > to keep some of the journaling that was written on the original pages.
          > Any ideas?
          > If there is journalling on both sides in the same place on a page, You
          > might
          > try a quality color photocopy for one of the sides and use the
          > original for
          > the other side. Another possibility is photographing it and using a
          > photo of
          > one side of the journaling.
          >
          > Un-Do may be helpful for removing some items. Another idea is to cut
          > up the
          > pages with lace and keep it intact to the paper if you feel removal
          > may damge
          > the items. If they are those black scrapbook pages and you use the
          > black CM
          > pages, you wont notice it as much.
          >
          > Hope this helps!
          >
          > Lisa Harley

        • Linda
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 12, 2004
            Kimberly,

            I am not sure what type of paper the photos are adhered too (if I am
            understanding you correctly), but I have had good luck with putting my
            albums into the freezer for a very short period of time. I put them in just
            until they are cold and the glue seems to let go and the photos seem to just
            pop off without any damage. Some of the others, more experienced with this
            may have better ideas. I will be anxious to see other ideas as I am getting
            ready to do two more albums.

            Linda

[...]

            Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
            editor@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Historic Photo Archive
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 12, 2004
              HEllo:

              1. start by Xeroxing the entire album, so that when materials get removed
              you have a reference to reconstruct.

              2. Create a facsimile album from the old album pages. A scanner and Epson
              2200 or R800 ultrachrome printer (not a dye ink printer) would be the best
              choice. Print the new pages on EEM paper and create an archival duplicate
              of the entire album. If the original album was on black paper, use
              photoshop to invert the captions to print as black ink on white paper.

              3. remove original photos. how this is done depends on what glues and
              adhesives were originally used, and whether there is any signs of fungus.

              4. Put every item in a Mylar D fold lock sleeve, or mylar D interleaving
              folders. (I am not familiar with Creative Memories, but I assume it is
              likely they stock archival supplies similar to professional conservator
              items) Use archival Mylar corners to attach the packaged original to the
              facsimile page. No doubt you are familiar with constructing acid free
              family albums. Use acid-free tissue interleaving between every page.

              As to the details of how to remove photos and artifacts that are glued in,
              the best text book is "Fundamentals of Photograph Conservation: A Study
              Guide" published by the National Archives of Canada. If you can get this
              from a library, or by inter-library loan that would be good because the book
              costs $200. the procedure for removing glued photographs from family albums
              begins on page 294. In summary, the original page is humidified by a
              Gore-Tex membrane. I will quote: "The Gore-Teex membrane, an aerated Teflon
              laminated to a 100% polyester non-woven felt, is laid over a stack of damp
              blotters. Due to the low absorbency and the small pores of the Gore-Tex and
              the high surface tension of liquid water, only the water vapour penetrates.
              The mounted photograph is laid over onto the Gore-Tex and the entire
              assembly is covered with a light-weight felt blanket. The procedure may
              require several hours before the adhesive softens..." I would recommend
              checking the book because this is the beginning of the process, next you
              have to remove the print from the paper, then remove the glue from the back
              of the print. There is much advice about specifics. You will want a very
              good set of surgical or industrial blades and scalpels, not to mention a lot
              of patience and time.

              There is a good case study of exactly the operation you want to perform,
              concerning the Jacobs album which is one of Canada's national treasures, and
              a conservation nightmare that was turned into an archival album that
              preserves all original captions and placements.

              hope this helps
              Tom Robinson
            • The Heck's
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 12, 2004
                Linda,
                Thanks for the idea. Do you put them in plastic to avoid any moisture?
                Sounds like that just might work....I want to make sure I don't damage
                the album/photos in the process.
                Kimberly*

                Linda wrote:

                > Kimberly,
                >
                > I am not sure what type of paper the photos are adhered too (if I am
                > understanding you correctly), but I have had good luck with putting my
                > albums into the freezer for a very short period of time. I put them
                > in just
                > until they are cold and the glue seems to let go and the photos seem
                > to just
                > pop off without any damage. Some of the others, more experienced with
                > this
                > may have better ideas. I will be anxious to see other ideas as I am
                > getting
                > ready to do two more albums.
                >
                > Linda

              • Bonnie
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 12, 2004
                  Kimberly,

                  I am assuming that since you are/were a CMC you know that the Creative
                  Memories albums have buffered pages so if you choose to, you can cut out the
                  handwriting from the old album and place it in the CM album and the buffered
                  pages with prevent the acid from migrating to your photos and other items in
                  the book. Make sure you use the page protectors too. The buffered pages
                  are actually one of CM's biggest selling features. (I was a CMC for 5
                  years). I would still heed the advice others also gave and consider putting
                  it in one of the photo sleeves to assist in as little acid as possible
                  coming in contact with your other pages or facing a photo directly on the
                  other page if you don't use page protectors (which you really should!)

                  2 tricks I have used to remove old photos is to 1) use dental floss. Use a
                  long piece and slide it gently behind the photo and using a "sawing" motion,
                  you gently cut thru the adhesive material and aren't "arching" the original
                  image and damaging the emulsion surface of it. Non-waxed works the best.
                  2) this method must be used with great care! -- you can use a blow dryer to
                  heat up the backside of the page (won't work on pages where the pics are
                  stuck on both sides in the same place) The concept is identical to the
                  philosophy of using the freezer but instead of chilling the glue, you are
                  warming up the glue and allowing the photo to be released from the page as
                  the glue softens and can be carefully pulled away. You need to really
                  really be careful not to get the page too hot or you can burn your photo or
                  damage the surface of the image. I'd use this as your last resort -- it
                  does work really well though on "sticky albums" (the ones that have the
                  adhesive all over the page and you just set your pics on them).

                  Just as Tom said, I'd make copies of the pages and maybe even include the
                  "original layout" as a new image on your page.

                  For the newspaper articles, you could photocopy them and put the copies in
                  the new album or if you really want to keep the yellowed originals, you can
                  also spray them with "Archival Mist" which adds a buffered coating to them
                  (like the CM page). You can buy it at most scrapbook stores. Archival mist
                  will typically prevent a NEW newspaper from turning yellow but you could use
                  it in this instance to keep the acid from migrating and more of a control
                  mechanism. If you scan the newspaper articles, you could apply some
                  wonderful sepia tones and such to the newspaper articles that would add a
                  great look to the album.

                  For the handwriting, you could also scan it and even blow it up to add more
                  emphasis and highlight it on the page as original writing. I am actually
                  working on a collection of "signatures" of my ancestors to add to their
                  pages to show a bit of their personality. It has been fun finding old
                  birthday cards and such to get their handwriting off of. You could
                  incorporate it into your journaling. One of my biggest challenges on
                  recreating an album of an ancestor was whether to make it identical to what
                  they'd done or to rearrange it a bit and add detail so that current
                  generations could learn the most about their ancestors from it -- one of the
                  reasons for including a photo of the "original page" and then adding more
                  emphasis on particular images and adding journaling.

                  I think it's "Memory Makers" magazine that has a wonderful "archival" album
                  layout idea book with great ideas for recapturing the past. You might want
                  to look at it before you pull the one apart.

                  Also, you may want to save one page of the old album and use it as the intro
                  for the new album to capture the old feel. I'd make copies of all the
                  photos though regardless of what you do to have backup copies. Scan or
                  photograph them. This would let you change a few of the more important
                  photographs so that you can emphasize different things as well as have
                  backup copies to share, in case album gets damaged and to serve as
                  replacements as images deteriorate.

                  hope any of this helps,

                  Bonnie
                  Surprise, AZ

                  I am looking for some info/ideas about coverting old photo albums. I
                  am a Creative Memories Consultant for many years and am very familiar
                  with where to store them after the conversion. The stumbling block I
                  am facing is for me and a customer.

                  We both have early 1900's albums that are just falling apart. We
                  would love to keep it similar to the originals. But also want to keep
                  the items safe from any further deterioration.

                • richard & barbara
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 12, 2004
                    I was a CM consultant for 11 years...just retired. I was able to put
                    together a wonderful album from my aunt's old black album by utilizing most
                    of the same recommendations Bonnie mentioned. My method utilized removing
                    only about half of the photos. I selected one side of the old black album
                    pages I would leave intact, (usually those with the most writing), then
                    remove the ones on the back. The ones I selected intact, I cropped the
                    print and the writing together with just a small border from the old black
                    album and mounted them on the new page. That way I didn't have to remove
                    those photos. I copied the journaling from the photos I removed from the
                    back side, to include when I mounted the loose pictures. A lot of that old
                    black album will come off with the photos, but I just got off what I could
                    when remounting. Too much fussing with them damaged them more than if I had
                    left them alone. It was a small album, and in a few cases I included the
                    entire old album page intact. And YES, Page Protectors!

                    Barbara

                  • IowaGob1@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 12, 2004
                      Kinberly,

                      I have had success using my digital camera and/or
                      scanner. I get better results with the scanner but if that
                      is not possible because of the size of the album then I use
                      the digital camera. I set the camera up on a tripod and
                      take the whole operation outdoors or, if that is not possible,
                      put it near a large window.

                      I have used Adobe Acrobat to make electronic books
                      in pdf format. I have also used ProShow Gold to make
                      slide shows that I burn to CD or DVD. The latter program
                      is great for adding music. It will time the slide duration so
                      that the whole show matches the length of the music. You
                      can adjust the duration by selecting music that is shorter
                      or longer and adding several music cuts together.

                      Jerry Hale
                      Deltona, FL

                      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                    • Historic Photo Archive
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 13, 2004
                        Before I consider a conservation treatment for a photograph, I think like a
                        professional gambler:
                        1. Don't risk what you can't afford to lose.
                        2. Quit while you're ahead.

                        As to placing photos in refrigerators, it is important to consider what kind
                        of refrigeration you have, which could be one of the three: cycle defrost,
                        energy efficient frost free, and true frost free. the difference between
                        these types of refrigeration determine the humidity level in the
                        refrigerator at any given moment. Both of the first two have very high
                        humidity levels, and true frost free has very low levels (25% typically).

                        Complete information about how a refrigerator affects photographs is now
                        available as a free download, it is Wilhelm's book "The Permanence and care
                        of Color Photographs" it is available here:
                        http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book.html

                        Most archives now use refrigeration to store old photographs and negatives,
                        research has shown that almost all photographic deterioration is drastically
                        slowed or stopped by cold storage, and an entire chapter of this book is
                        devoted to how small archives can use consumer refrigerators to store
                        photographs. Of course there is a discussion of the differences between the
                        different types of refrigerators and how their operations affect internal
                        humidity.

                        This book may be of interest to persons selecting materials to store old
                        photographs. The book is filled with case studies of brand name products
                        marketed as "archival", including accelerated aging tests of all brand name
                        film, paper, and mat board. Clear plastic album pages made by Print File,
                        for example, which are widely marketed as "archival" are shown to destroy
                        the photographs and negatives they hold, with illustrations of the damage
                        and an extensive discussion of why. The advisability of using buffered
                        papers for photographs is clearly explained, and which types of photographs
                        can be helped and which kinds can be harmed. In short, many nineteenth
                        century photographs should not come in contact with buffered paper. Modern
                        color prints, particularly Ektacolor and Konica, should not be mounted on
                        buffered paper (page 472)

                        Tom Robinson
                      • P SummersSmith
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 13, 2004
                          Tom, I really appreciate your very helpful posts. Thanks so much for all
                          the great information you provide on this list.
                          Patricia

                          At 08:04 AM 8/13/2004, you wrote:
                          >Before I consider a conservation treatment for a photograph, I think like a
                          >professional gambler:
                          >1. Don't risk what you can't afford to lose.
                          >2. Quit while you're ahead.
                          >
                          >As to placing photos in refrigerators, it is important to consider what kind
                          >of refrigeration you have, which could be one of the three: cycle defrost,
                          >energy efficient frost free, and true frost free. the difference between
                          >these types of refrigeration determine the humidity level in the
                          >refrigerator at any given moment. Both of the first two have very high
                          >humidity levels, and true frost free has very low levels (25% typically).
                          >
                          >Complete information about how a refrigerator affects photographs is now
                          >available as a free download, it is Wilhelm's book "The Permanence and care
                          >of Color Photographs" it is available here:
                          >http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book.html
                          >
                          >Most archives now use refrigeration to store old photographs and negatives,
                          >research has shown that almost all photographic deterioration is drastically
                          >slowed or stopped by cold storage, and an entire chapter of this book is
                          >devoted to how small archives can use consumer refrigerators to store
                          >photographs. Of course there is a discussion of the differences between the
                          >different types of refrigerators and how their operations affect internal
                          >humidity.
                          >
                          >This book may be of interest to persons selecting materials to store old
                          >photographs. The book is filled with case studies of brand name products
                          >marketed as "archival", including accelerated aging tests of all brand name
                          >film, paper, and mat board. Clear plastic album pages made by Print File,
                          >for example, which are widely marketed as "archival" are shown to destroy
                          >the photographs and negatives they hold, with illustrations of the damage
                          >and an extensive discussion of why. The advisability of using buffered
                          >papers for photographs is clearly explained, and which types of photographs
                          >can be helped and which kinds can be harmed. In short, many nineteenth
                          >century photographs should not come in contact with buffered paper. Modern
                          >color prints, particularly Ektacolor and Konica, should not be mounted on
                          >buffered paper (page 472)
                          >
                          >Tom Robinson

                        • Linda
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 13, 2004
                            Kimberly,

                            I have used all kinds of things to put them in even Tupperware containers.
                            My best friends husband works for Kodak and he was telling me about some new
                            techniques they have for doing this type of thing. I'll get in touch with
                            them tonight and see if he'll refresh my memory. I have a few more old
                            albums that I acquired this summer and would be interested in any new
                            procedures.

                            What part of S.C. are you from?

                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 13, 2004
                              We're in Mt Pleasant. Right now we are getting ready for the hurricane
                              to head our way, so I've been delayed in responding.

                              I am so excited about all of the info and support that I have received
                              for this project. We definately have a lot to think about and I am
                              still open to any new ideas that are out there. I will keep everyone
                              posted on what we are doing and what works for us.

                              Thanks again, and keep the info flowing!

                              Peace,
                              Kimberly*