Re: [genphoto] Amen Rhonda

  • nanismith@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 8:30 AM
      Actually this has happened at least twice in some of my family lines. I remember as a child my grandfather coming out of my grandmother's bedroom with handsfull of old photos....some were the tin type kind. This was shortly after my grandmother had died, and I just happened to be there. Being curious about the tin types ones I asked to see them. Though I didn't realize exactly what he was doing with them that day, I later found that he had taken them and others and many other things that my grandmother had cherished and kept outside and burned them that day.

      In another family line after the death of their mother the sons were clearing out her 'rubbish,' and burning it. Fortunately some of the papers were saved by one of the sons' wives...who was too late to have been able to save the pictures. The papers turned out to be handwritten essays and letters of my g g grandfather. Thankfully these were preserved, and when it was known that I was researching him these papers were given into my care.

      Now on my mother's side of the family....one of moma's aunts was a great hand to take and keep the families' photos. These were passed along to her daughter following the death of her mother, and to this day not one picture has ever been shared with the rest of the family. This daughter is elderly now...and heaven only knows what will become of the family pictures....if they have not already been destroyed.

      This is why I think I feel so strongly that family papers and photographs don't belong to anyone....they belong to all the family and should be given into the care of someone who values them and will preserve them....and share them...and then place them into the hands of someone else who will in their turn do the same. Just think of what is lost otherwise!

      psmith

    • JerryABarb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2004
        Paul, maybe they are embarassed by some of the old records. My
        gr-grandfather was indicted for counterfeiting in 1878, and I have trouble getting
        descendants to claim the relationship! Or, there's the marriage record which, coupled
        with the birth record, proves why the marriage date in the family Bible was
        wrong...gr-grandma was five months pregnant! You never know what motivates
        people!