Light or Dark

  • HDMShort@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 11:08 PM
      Hi All:

      On a recent trip to the desert I took many digital photos of rocks, etc., in
      the bright sun. I noticed that my photos seemed light colored and I had to
      darken them a bit in Elements.

      I'm not sure my compact flash card should be handled like a print film and
      over expose the next trip or under expose like shooting color slides.

      Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 8:58 AM
        Most of my digital camera pictures and scans look better with "One Step
        Photo Fix" in the newest Paint Shop Pro as compared with an hour or so of
        experiments fiddling with available settings for each picture. Slide scans
        with a mix of bright sun mountain tops and interesting details in deep shade
        foreground are the biggest challenge to the software.

        Used the first sheet of two-sided Kodak Soft Gloss photo paper yesterday
        with good results, had a full page color photo on each side.

        Digital camera should be set so that pictures of *all* subjects can be
        edited on a good monitor and printed on a home printer or "automatic"
        digital service at least as well as prints from a high quality 35mm film
        camera. Prints from a flash card might cost less than home printing.

        Adobe Elements is on another computer but hasn't been used. The current
        versions of PSP have been in daily use more than eight years for family
        pictures of all types. Paint Shop Pro is one of the few computer programs
        that we have supported with telephone upgrade purchase on the same day a
        notice of new version was received. One computer used to have more than
        20,000 JPG images with digital camera files going back to 1997.

        Unsatisfactory "pastel" images in 1996 resulted from trying to edit scanned
        pictures on a monitor with fixed settings that was sold for mostly text use
        in an office computer bundle. A good monitor has different settings for
        graphics or games like a television has different settings for movies or
        fast-moving sports. -- Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 10:09 AM
          Depending on your camera, you may have a setting that is designed for
          "bright sunlight". My Nikon Coolpix 950 has 4-5 different light settings
          for fluorescent, incandescent, bright sunlight, etc... I didn't think they
          really made a difference until we went to the beach on 2 different trips.
          In the first set of pictures you could only see the shadows of the people
          and not the details of who they were, the bright light reflected off the
          water, etc. THe second trip, I used the Bright Sunlight/Outdoor setting
          and now have some incredibly rich photos of my family at the beach, deep
          blues of the ocean, wonderful colors in the sky! I was amazed at how great
          the settings actually work. I then tried the fluorescent setting at my
          kids' awards assembly and had the same experience. Instead of grayed out
          pictures that were slightly blurred (as a flash doesn't reach that far!), I
          had crisp pictures and didn't even have to use my flash. The colors in the
          kids clothing were bright, not blurred, and much more true to the actual
          image.

          Some cameras also have a "backlight" setting when you are taking a picture
          of something against a "bright" background, such as a group of people in
          front of a window. It will adjust the exposure settings to focus on the
          center of the image and not the peripheral light that is coming thru.
          (don't know how to explain that in true technical terms LOL).

          Hope this helps :)

          Bonnie

          On a recent trip to the desert I took many digital photos of rocks, etc.,
          in
          the bright sun. I noticed that my photos seemed light colored and I had to
          darken them a bit in Elements.

          I'm not sure my compact flash card should be handled like a print film and
          over expose the next trip or under expose like shooting color slides.

          Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

          Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
          use editor@...