RE: [genphoto] Slide Scanner

  • wilburd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 7 11:36 AM
      I have tried both methods the scanner and the digital camera. The
      camera has proven the better of the two. For one thing you can take an
      old family group pix and zoom in on a single person whereas with a
      scanner it takes a lot of cropping after the fact. Also you can devize
      a simple photo stand to shoot your old pix off of. Another thing is the
      fact that it is much easier to carry your camera to some ones home than
      it would be a scanner. Some of your best work can be done with your
      camera and a tripod and shooting at photos off the refrigerator door
      while held up by magnets. BTW on the slides make sure

      Wilbur D. Russell
      1015 South 4th
      Leavenworth Ks.66048-3410
      Pho 913/651-5662 QUE SERA SERA
      http://community.webtv.net/wilburd/SLLUGseniorLansing
      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7 1:26 PM
        Good scanner software allows a "closeup" scan of a face in a group picture
        until the texture of the original becomes distracting. Sometimes owners of
        new scanners with basic software think the only method is to scan a whole
        slide, a whole picture or the whole area of the glass and crop later.

        It is possible to use advanced settings to get a good scan of a slide with
        people in dark shade in the foreground and a sunny mountain top in the
        background.

        Some image collectors to save one scan of a group picture and crop
        individual heads. In an old family portrait, individual faces may have had
        variable lighting. Faces in the front row are larger than faces in the back
        row, and rectangular crops may have distracting details showing in the
        corners as well as different dimensions.

        I like to save ovals for face pictures for genealogy charts but some
        programs work best with matched size sets of rectangles. Grandma's best
        young adult portrait was 16x20" with a face area that fit on the scanner
        glass. Her last good picture was a half frame color slide. Hats, large
        hairdos and side views add to the complication of planning images in sets.

        I've had better, faster results with scanner than a small digital camera for
        *most* items. Sometimes a picture under glass or a shiny original item like
        a magazine picture has unexpected reflections. Experiment at home before
        making a one chance trip to copy similar items.

        It might seem "faster" to fill the scanner glass with a set of small
        snapshots but I had the best results scanning one snapshot at a time without
        making the files too large. Old equipment seven years ago allowed small
        images to be saved at the rate of 20 or 30 per hour and they were good
        enough for 2x2 layout for family members to identify. -- Elizabeth

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 9, 2005
            Happy New Year!
            I've been a lurker here for years and my sister and I are considering the
            purchase of a scanner which can scan slides. Our dad took tons around Europe
            and my husband and I took about 35 rolls of slides on a 30 day trip tpo New
            Zealand and Austalia about 20 years ago.

            I had a few made into prints lately and the cost was close to 1.25 each.
            Yikes!

            All input is greatly appreciated.

            Lisa

          • E.Rodier
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 9, 2005
              If there are a lot of slides to be scanned, it is worth purchasing a scanner
              with an adaptor to hold multiple slides at the same time. Our choice was a
              Minolta Dimage but it doesn't seem to be listed on the company web site now.
              High quality images, large files and cleanup of dust take a lot of time. My
              cousin bought a different brand recently and didn't get it to run on his
              own. -- Elizabeth