Re: Lost Pixels

  • pb
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 29, 2004
      Greetings!

      I think what was meant by lost pixels, was lost details. Jpeg compression can ruin
      photos, just as compression of sound files can wreck music. However,
      compression does NOT equal degradation. Obviously, you can compress text files
      and greatly reduce their size, open them back up and all the words are still
      there. It depends on the program how much information is chucked.

      I used to always save my photos as PICT files. These are as large as tiff files.
      However, I *believe* that if you save as a jpeg (.jpg) using the *maximum*
      compression setting, you will not be able to detect any loss in quality. The
      savings in file size may be considerable. This is what I do now. I would not
      repeatedly save the same image as jpeg though, because each time some detail
      *may* be thrown out.

      Once detail is gone, it's never coming back. Blurred photos cannot be made
      sharp, digital sharpening is one of the ugliest effects I have ever seen. FOr a
      while, National Geographic was putting photos on the cover that were digitally
      *over-sharpened* and they looked positively terrible, all gritty and nasty. A
      slightly blurry photo would be better than *that*.

      I find I can enlarge digital photos a little bit, maybe 50%. Try going up in small
      steps, then blurring the image a little to remove weird artifacts. A lot has to do
      with individual tolerance and the value of the image. We may tolerate lower
      quality if the image has special importance. Sort of like listening to favorite old
      records, you sort of tune out the noise.

      If you care about quality, though, try to start with big files. Then can always be
      downsized later. To restore or improve quality, you will have to learn to paint the
      details in.

      pb