Re: [genphoto] color correcting, etc.

  • Rhonda Little
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6, 2004
      I always try to correct the coloring of my photo. I want to bring it as close the original quality as possible.

      pb <plb6@...> wrote:Greetings
      A lot of the old photos I have been seeing lately on the web sites are
      of poor quality. They seemed to be scanned in and no attention is paid
      to fixing up their various flaws. Is this on purpose? Do people prefer
      the old photos to be authentic? Or do these people lack knowledge of
      basic color correction and balancing you can do with photoshop?

      I mean, if people don't want to alter the photos, I understand that,
      but if they don't know how, that's different. For example, a
      photograph may look completely yellowed, yet when the yellow cast is
      removed, most of the original colors may return. Also, dark photos or
      damaged photos can be easily fixed with simple correction techniques.

      What is the general thought on this? Leave 'em alone, or try to get
      the best picture out of what's left?

      pb

      Rhonda Little
      Appointed the "Ambassador of BOM" by Angie Pedersen herself!!!
      Design Team Member for One Scrappy Site at www.onescrappysite.com

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 6, 2004
        My scanner advertised that it can reduce or eliminate dust or scratches. It
        even has that feature (at least the dust one) listed on the page where I scan
        from. I thought this would be a great option but it doesn't seem to work at
        least I haven't figured how to make it work and trust me I have found that I have
        alot of dust. It took me about 6 tries to scan one photo which is "entirely
        too long" just trying to eliminate most of the "sparkles" and "hairs" on
        people's eyelids or "drips" under people's noses. and scatches are just magnified. I
        didn't even notice them on the original photo until I saw them first on the
        scan.

        linsley@... writes:

        > In my experience, getting rid of dust spots is the most common correction
        > required. No matter how carefully I clean the scanner glass and the
        > surface of the print, I always have dust. Cleaning helps, but never
        > eliminates it completely. :-(

      • Audrey Staples
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10, 2004
          I got Paintshop8 for a birthday present, and it is quite an improvement from
          the version 4 I had been using for years. I can't afford Photoshop, at any
          price. My blacks can be made black, same with white on Ps8. I also got
          Jasc PS Photo Album, and I have been using it more and more. It links to PS
          8 if I need a more in-depth work-up on a photo. The Album has a one-touch
          fix which really can improve a photo, just be careful and save an original
          (just in case). I can't recommend PS 8 enough.

          Audrey

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 24, 2004
            Hi

            I saw "PhotoShop Elements" for sale new at our campus store fro $50.
            Has anyone used this? How does it compare to full PhotoShop? I find I
            use very little of PhotoShop's full power, but some of the lite
            versions are set up in a deliberately clumsy way, so you can't get
            very much work done...(leaving you hankering for the real thing...)

            anybody?

            pb
          • LRiffey007@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 25, 2004
              I have tried to use Photo Shop Elements but gave up because it was to deep
              for me. Most of my work is with photo restoration & genealogy and I found the
              Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 is much easier to use and met my needs.

              BTW, my copy of Elements could be had cheap and is in the original packaging.

              Larry

            • HDMShort@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 25, 2004
                Greetings;
                I like photo shop 2 and find it very useful. It takes a bit of time get a
                handle on, but works for me. Why not take a class at school or adult education. I
                also use it to restore old photos. You get nice effects with the filters and
                it's great for adding text to photos. $50.00 is a bargain.