[genphoto] Posting Pics of Unknown Persons

  • sogerd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
      A wonderful site/group that posts old pictures is called Ancient
      Faces. www.ancientfaces.com If you have any clue at all as to whom
      you are posting - or from a certain location, please post as much
      information as possible. ie Unknown female who is/was a member of
      <such and such> family, or a friend of said family. Picture taken
      about <date> (If you have any clue.) around <place> again, if you
      have a clue.
      Sometimes, it is pretty amazing who gets identified!
      I hope this helps. So - _please_ don't chuck old photographs of
      someone you don't know! This year, I am making photo copies of old
      unlabled pics that my Mom no longer recognizes, and I am sending the
      photo copies out to people who I _think_ may have a clue. (Cousins,
      mom's friends, one of my Mom's ex-husbands, etc.)
      Even the younger generation may have one or two old photo's of a
      parent, grandparent or aunt or uncle, etc. and recognize
      your 'unknown'. Also, don't forget to check with old friends of the
      family. And, of course - don't forget the 'obvious' - and see if
      you have other pics of the same person in your collection - that
      does have a name and/or date on it. (I have been able to identify
      quite a few people that way.)
      Dawn
      List Moderator
    • g.ruppert@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
        Hi:

        Dawn has mentioned Ancient Faces, an excellent site. There are many others as
        well.

        For a slightly different approach, take a look at Baltimore City Nineteenth-
        Century Photos where we have a large inventory of **identified** photos
        submitted by family members or from collectors where the photo has been
        identified. Additionally, as the name suggests, the site is restricted to
        Baltimore City Photos and those (mostly) from the 19th-century.

        http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ruppert/

        Gary
        Baltimore
        http://home.att.net/~g.ruppert