Which scanner to buy - Epson 3200 is my choice at present

  • llwinward
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2003
      I am new to the photo scanning realm. I'm doing scanning for family
      history which includes slides, black & white negatives, color (35MM)
      film, and both black and white and color photos. My mother is
      terminally ill, so we want to get this done well and quickly while
      she is able to assist us with preserving so much history.

      I am considering purchasing the Epson Presentation 3200 scanner. I
      am a regular PC user, with adequate working knowledge of computers
      but no guru. I assume I need a DVD or CD writer to capture this
      much data.

      Any advice would be appreciated.
      Lloyd
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2003
        If you are in a hurry, a specialty 35mm slide and film scanner can do more
        than one at a time, sometimes a whole strip or a whole uncut roll.
        Attachments available to handle whole rolls of APS. I have a Microtek
        ScanMaker 5700 used for large negatives and flatbed scanning but a specialty
        35mm scanner is better for small films and batches of slides.

        > I am new to the photo scanning realm. I'm doing scanning for family
        > history which includes slides, black & white negatives, color (35MM)
        > film, and both black and white and color photos. > Lloyd
      • Judith B. Marcum
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 26, 2003
          I currently have an Epson 3200 and think it is great. You can scan just
          about anything!

          Judith Marcum
          jbmarcum@...
          Yuma, AZ

          > I am new to the photo scanning realm. I'm doing scanning for family
          > history which includes slides, black & white negatives, color (35MM)
          > film, and both black and white and color photos. My mother is
          > terminally ill, so we want to get this done well and quickly while
          > she is able to assist us with preserving so much history.
          >
          > I am considering purchasing the Epson Presentation 3200 scanner. I
          > am a regular PC user, with adequate working knowledge of computers
          > but no guru. I assume I need a DVD or CD writer to capture this
          > much data.
          >
          > Any advice would be appreciated.
          > Lloyd

          > Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
          use editor@...

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • M Lindley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7 4:06 PM
            Do you find this scanner of an acceptable quality for the detail in old
            photos?

            My HP is now on its last legs (and pre USB) so I need to replace it before I
            finish my mom's scrapbooks (or at least, since I'm so tired of it, a
            _portion_ of it!!)

            Marianne