New Members - spam alert

  • cindyg46
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      I'm one of the volunteer moderators of the group, and wanted to let everyone know
      that it looks like this group is being targeted for a spam attack. Some time ago this
      also happened, and we moved to a restricted membership and moderated posting to
      control it.

      We've had over 25 requests for membership since yesterday morning. Each request
      must be approved by a moderator. Right now, I'm approving the requests for
      membership but watching the first posts to make sure that spam doesn't get
      approved. I banned one new member last night. Some of the new members have
      already unsubbed (since they weren't able to post their junk).

      If you are a new member and joined GenPhoto to discuss genealogy annd
      photography, we are happy to have you here. Please be patient if your posts take
      some time to be approved. It's a busy season! After a new member posts on-topic a
      few times, we remove the moderation requirement.

      Happy holidays to all,

      Cindy