What to do????

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2003
      What would you do? Here's what my problem is. My family is nothing but
      a bunch of vultures (myself included) but I'm more into the
      preservation of art and photographs itself. Last year after my fathers
      death, I came across a old sea trunk which belonged to my
      great-grandfather. And in it were 3- 16x20 photos that were taken abt
      1898-1905. Already I've photocopied the prints but now they are
      starting to look really bad. Fading in places, cornors falling off.
      Several members of the family want these orignals, but in my heart, I
      can't find myself turning the prints over to someone who have no
      knownledge in the history of the family, photography nor preservation.
      Myself, I've thought of contacting the County museum in Oklahoma which
      my anscestors hail from and find out if they would like to have the
      prints for display. Or perhaps contacting the National Archieves in DC
      and see about placing them there for safe keeping.

      What does everyone think? I've given copies (enlarged to 8x10's) to
      members of the family of the photos.

      -CHC
    • marcastn
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2003
        Cheryl, as long as you did not do anything illegal to get the trunk <smile>
        seems to me the originals should be yours. You have shared copies with
        the others. This is good reason for you to get into the research yourself
        to find the descendants of these ancestors and share copies and your
        research with them. You'll probably met some very nice kin!
        Marge
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • G&L
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2003
          I think you should keep the photos and provide for their best care.
          Quite often museums lose items given to them and it looks like you will
          give them the best home.
          Linda

        • wilburd@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2003
            There are mitigating circumstances concerning the property and
            disposition of a deceased person. His his spouse still living? did he
            leave a will? If so has it been probated? Do you have any brothers or
            sisters, and are you the oldest? Did your father appoint you his
            executor or has the judge appointed you the administrator? Who are the
            other family members that have shown an interest in these pictures? You
            also lead us to believe that you where not aware of this trunk while you
            where growing up at home. I think that you should look at the legal
            aspect of this whole thing before proceeding any further.

            Wilbur D. Russell
            1015 South 4th
            Leavenworth Ks.66048-3410
            Pho 913/651-5662 QUE SERA SERA
            http://community.webtv.net/wilburd/SLLUGseniorLansing
            MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
          • IowaGob1@juno.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2003
              IMHO family relationships with those still living far
              outweigh other considerations. I'd make a high
              quality digital copy then let the originals go to
              whomever makes the best case. Better yet let
              them come to an agreement amoung themselves
              and pass the originals to them.

              Jerry
              Deltona, FL

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            • ngchesnutt@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 19, 2003
                Being in a somewhat similar situation I think you should investigate the
                historical society that would have the most interest in the photographs. Find out
                their policy on accepting donations, what they do if they later decide they
                don't want them and how current they are on making items available for others to
                access. You have given copies to the family members and I assume you have the
                copy negatives available if anyone wants more copies. I have given old
                photographs that don't directly relate to my family to the historical society in the
                location where the photos were taken. I have the copy negatives and plan to
                leave my notebook of negatives to my oldest son. He is the most interested in
                them. He is also in the photography business. Don't worry about it and just be
                happy over the treasure you found!
              • CBGILBERT@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 19, 2003
                  No offense but I believe that too much is being made of who owns the
                  pictures. Several good suggestions have been made, i.e., make copies and send
                  to family, make copies and give them to the historical society, etc.
                  I ran into this same problem with an elderly married into the family
                  member who I didn't know. She wanted the original of a picture of her husband
                  and his brother as children with their grandfather. I sent her a good copy
                  but she was infuriated. I explained that yes, it is a picture of her husband
                  but it was also a picture of my great great grandfather and being that I found
                  the picture in a box of things being thrown out of my grandmother's house I
                  believed that the picture belongs to me. Since there are many relatives of the
                  people in the picture there is no way to decide who gets what photo.
                  Let's continue to save our old photos on the most affordable and
                  newest method possible, send copies to family and put the originals in a safe place
                  and be glad that our ancestors left us a little something of themselves.
                  Cynthia Bolick Gilbert