Nero

  • Merv Leeding
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2003
      Hi Bill

      >After discussion yesterday and doing a little research, I ordered Nero 5 for
      >$ 17.50 from WestgateMedia.com . so that version is still available.

      Check their web site (Ahead) for udates. Current version is 5.5.10.42. Most
      times you won't see any difference but a few times they have changed the
      feature layout slightly in a way that I saw as an improvement.

      Their updates are dual purpose, functioning as time-limited demos if you
      don't have Nero installed, and an update if you do. No charge for the updates.

      Note that they bundle an OEM version with many burners, perhaps 80% of
      those sold down under. These OEM versions cost the user virtually nothing
      since the burner+Nero is substantially cheaper than retail Nero 5. (compare
      my previous comment on Roxio)

      The OEM are easy to pick compared to the retail. Same features but no rego
      number in the About dialog. They will not install on burner models where
      they were never bundled. In fact the rego number of the what they call the
      "bundled" versions can be found in the registry. You can, or could, upgrade
      to the "retail", presumably for support, by finding that number and paying
      a fee which was at one stage about $20.

      I mentioned earlier the documentation is weak and there are modules not
      included such as DVD burning and some plugins eg MPEG encoding. You would
      need to check their web site to find what plugins are free and which are not.

      Regards
      Merv Leeding