Easy CD

  • Merv Leeding
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2003
      Hi Harry

      >-My PC has Adaptec Easy CD Creator version 4. <snip>
      >My new laptop has Roxio CD Creator 5. This program is extremely difficult
      >to use

      I have not used 5 but rate 6 as easy to use. My one caveat is that so many
      users are enamoured of the packet-writing drag to disc approach which is
      the "Notepad" of word processors IMHO that Roxio moved more to that
      approach in 5 and 6.

      I suggest you forget about drag to disc, check out the conventional way to
      burn files to a blank CDR/CDRW. In my view the small convenience of that
      packet writing is far out-weighed but the way it deflects users from
      understanding simple burning and moreover the problems it creates. And that
      applied to all the burning programs that install packet writing.

      >I called Roxio about the problem and they were very nasty to me,
      >said for $35.00 I could talk to a tech about the program. I told them to
      >stuff it because the program should work and they should help me with this.

      Well yes and no. Roxio is not the only company that sells retail versions
      at a significant price and for fraction of that price offers it as OEM so
      other companies can bundle it for a trivial price. The arrangement is that
      the company (presumably Dell in this case) accept full responsibility for
      supporting the customer.

      >They said call Dell it was their problem.

      I suspect some of the irritation is caused by dealers who take OEM on board
      to boost sales but reneg on the support their customers are entitled too. A
      lot of this happens down here.

      Regards
      Merv Leeding