RE: [genphoto] New member...

  • Lawanna Casto
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
      > I need lots of advice on scanning and saving our parents many photo albums
      > from the early 1930's.
      > I would like to put the better photos on cd's and make copies of the cd's
      > for other members of the family.
      > I have some experience in scanning [Plustek Optic Pro 12000T] but have not
      > created an album or cd from
      > the photos that I have scanned. I have a Kodak camera and use their Easy
      > Share program.

      Are you scanning the photos or do you have access to negatives and/or
      slides? If you have negatives or slides, you can get some great resolution
      scans. You can buy a film scanner and do it yourself or you can hire it
      out.

      Lawanna
    • marcastn
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
        Lawanna,
        I am covered up with all that you mentioned. LOL!!! But my primary concern
        is saving and sharing the photos in about 10 old albums that belonged to our
        parents. I do NOT have the negatives to those.
        I also have a large box of slides which my hubby made during Army days
        and in Vietnam in 63-64. And we have negatives of some of our own
        photos made since the 60's.
        Thanks, Marge

        > I need lots of advice on scanning and saving our parents many photo albums
        > from the early 1930's.
        > I would like to put the better photos on cd's and make copies of the cd's
        > for other members of the family.
        > I have some experience in scanning [Plustek Optic Pro 12000T] but have not
        > created an album or cd from
        > the photos that I have scanned. I have a Kodak camera and use their Easy
        > Share program.

        Are you scanning the photos or do you have access to negatives and/or
        slides? If you have negatives or slides, you can get some great resolution
        scans. You can buy a film scanner and do it yourself or you can hire it
        out.

        Lawanna

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • HDMShort@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
          Hi Marge:
          If you have a digital camera throw away your scanner. With a bit of practice,
          a little tripod and some simple lighting you can copy photos in the JPEG mode
          easily.
          Harry
        • wilburd@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2003
            Just a thought. If you do use a camera instead of a scanner, either
            film or digital I would suggest adding something red like a pen or
            marker top into the pix so that your old B&W pix come out the correct
            shade. Otherwise they will come out sepia,

            Wilbur D. Russell
            1015 South 4th
            Leavenworth Ks.66048-3410
            Pho 913/651-5662 QUE SERA SERA
            http://community.webtv.net/wilburd/SLLUGseniorLansing
            MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU

          • marcastn
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 28, 2003
              Thanks, Wilbur, I had not thought of that and I had not thought of photographing the photos.
              I know that would be faster than removing the photos, scanning, and
              then replacing them in the albums. - Marge

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 28, 2003
                Use a digital camera and the JPEG you take will be the color of the original
                print. If you use 35 mm black and white film that is available from Kodak that
                is processed by the C-41 color method at you're one hour photo shop, your
                photos will be sepia colored if you don't tell the processor that you have black
                and white film for C-41 processing. This process allows you to have B & W
                prints made in the same solution as color prints Neat, huh?
                Harry
              • LRiffey007@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2003
                  You may want to consider taking a look at a program call PaperPort by
                  ScanSoft. It can except documents from a scanner or digital camera With this program
                  you can switch from color to black & white or store a copy of both. I am using
                  this program to store photos and all types of documents. You can create
                  separate folders for marriage, death, birth, obits and pension documents, photos,
                  etc. Many documents come in all different colors, so the will look like the
                  originals or scan them in B&W, your choice. You can also use this program to
                  email or transfer/store to many other programs.

                  No, I don't work for ScanSoft, I got the idea from a professional
                  photographers group when I was looking for a program to store genealogy documentation.
                  See more about this program at <A HREF="www.ScanSoft.com">www.ScanSoft.com</A>.

                  Larry
                  Plano, TX