New member...

  • marcastn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
      Hello, I am happy to find this group!
      I need lots of advice on scanning and saving our parents many photo albums
      from the early 1930's.
      I would like to put the better photos on cd's and make copies of the cd's
      for other members of the family.
      I have some experience in scanning [Plustek Optic Pro 12000T] but have not
      created an album or cd from
      the photos that I have scanned. I have a Kodak camera and use their Easy
      Share program.
      Are there other software programs that I need?
      Any suggestions appreciated.
      Marge
      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/a/s/Marjorie-Casteel/index.html?Welcome=1056745788
    • Lawanna Casto
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
        > I need lots of advice on scanning and saving our parents many photo albums
        > from the early 1930's.
        > I would like to put the better photos on cd's and make copies of the cd's
        > for other members of the family.
        > I have some experience in scanning [Plustek Optic Pro 12000T] but have not
        > created an album or cd from
        > the photos that I have scanned. I have a Kodak camera and use their Easy
        > Share program.

        Are you scanning the photos or do you have access to negatives and/or
        slides? If you have negatives or slides, you can get some great resolution
        scans. You can buy a film scanner and do it yourself or you can hire it
        out.

        Lawanna
      • marcastn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
          Lawanna,
          I am covered up with all that you mentioned. LOL!!! But my primary concern
          is saving and sharing the photos in about 10 old albums that belonged to our
          parents. I do NOT have the negatives to those.
          I also have a large box of slides which my hubby made during Army days
          and in Vietnam in 63-64. And we have negatives of some of our own
          photos made since the 60's.
          Thanks, Marge

          > I need lots of advice on scanning and saving our parents many photo albums
          > from the early 1930's.
          > I would like to put the better photos on cd's and make copies of the cd's
          > for other members of the family.
          > I have some experience in scanning [Plustek Optic Pro 12000T] but have not
          > created an album or cd from
          > the photos that I have scanned. I have a Kodak camera and use their Easy
          > Share program.

          Are you scanning the photos or do you have access to negatives and/or
          slides? If you have negatives or slides, you can get some great resolution
          scans. You can buy a film scanner and do it yourself or you can hire it
          out.

          Lawanna

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • HDMShort@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2003
            Hi Marge:
            If you have a digital camera throw away your scanner. With a bit of practice,
            a little tripod and some simple lighting you can copy photos in the JPEG mode
            easily.
            Harry
          • wilburd@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 28, 2003
              Just a thought. If you do use a camera instead of a scanner, either
              film or digital I would suggest adding something red like a pen or
              marker top into the pix so that your old B&W pix come out the correct
              shade. Otherwise they will come out sepia,

              Wilbur D. Russell
              1015 South 4th
              Leavenworth Ks.66048-3410
              Pho 913/651-5662 QUE SERA SERA
              http://community.webtv.net/wilburd/SLLUGseniorLansing
              MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU

            • marcastn
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 28, 2003
                Thanks, Wilbur, I had not thought of that and I had not thought of photographing the photos.
                I know that would be faster than removing the photos, scanning, and
                then replacing them in the albums. - Marge

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 28, 2003
                  Use a digital camera and the JPEG you take will be the color of the original
                  print. If you use 35 mm black and white film that is available from Kodak that
                  is processed by the C-41 color method at you're one hour photo shop, your
                  photos will be sepia colored if you don't tell the processor that you have black
                  and white film for C-41 processing. This process allows you to have B & W
                  prints made in the same solution as color prints Neat, huh?
                  Harry
                • LRiffey007@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 29, 2003
                    You may want to consider taking a look at a program call PaperPort by
                    ScanSoft. It can except documents from a scanner or digital camera With this program
                    you can switch from color to black & white or store a copy of both. I am using
                    this program to store photos and all types of documents. You can create
                    separate folders for marriage, death, birth, obits and pension documents, photos,
                    etc. Many documents come in all different colors, so the will look like the
                    originals or scan them in B&W, your choice. You can also use this program to
                    email or transfer/store to many other programs.

                    No, I don't work for ScanSoft, I got the idea from a professional
                    photographers group when I was looking for a program to store genealogy documentation.
                    See more about this program at <A HREF="www.ScanSoft.com">www.ScanSoft.com</A>.

                    Larry
                    Plano, TX