Photo Quality Printer

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2003
      Where is everybody -- showed under? :-)

      What's the best (for the $$) photo quality printer? I know that the
      dye-subs are wonderful, but quite pricey. I want an inkjet that will
      do 8.5x11 paper as it will be used for other things as well.

      Thanks!
      Susan
      -----
      Susan Baker Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Genealogy/Images
    • Kay Hampshire
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 25, 2003
        I have the HP 7350 - that I think is selling for 199.00 now.

        It uses a color and black cartridge for day to day work and has the
        ability to swap the black cartridge for a photo cartridge (additional
        colors) for when I print color photos.

        The key about this printer is the lasting quality of the ink has been
        reported at 75 - 80 + years - when used on HP Premium Plus paper.

        The prints are gorgeous and I wanted the ability to print scanned or
        digital photos for archival purposes.

        In addition - you can use the printer to 'read digital cards' so that
        was one less piece of hardware on my desk.

        For day to day printing (emails, etc that I am not mailing) I print on
        econo-mode - and it is fast and cost effective.

        My son and daughter-in-law purchased this as well after seeing the
        quality of the prints.

        Kay
        What's the best (for the $$) photo quality printer? I know that the
        dye-subs are wonderful, but quite pricey. I want an inkjet that will
        do 8.5x11 paper as it will be used for other things as well.

        Thanks!
        Susan
        -----
        Susan Baker Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Genealogy/Images

        Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
        use editor@...

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 10, 2003
          I'm trying to figure out how to get a decent scan from that really
          coarse (and crappy) matte finish paper that was *so* populat in
          the 1970s. When I scan at 300 dpi (as I do for all images), I
          get little white blips where the light is eflecting on the
          undulations in the paper. I did a rough count and came up with
          72per inch horizontally -- in alternating rows
          and 120 per inch vertically -- like so ...

          - - - - - - - -
          - - - - - - -

          My scanner (Umax) allows for descreen for magazine and newspaper --
          and I can manually set the descreen values.

          Anybody had any success with scanning this type of paper surface?

          Thanks!
          Susan
          -----
          Susan Baker Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Genealogy/Images
        • Patty Fagan
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
            Two suggestions for rough surface photos:

            1. Rotate the photo 90 degrees and scan again. The direction of the light
            within some scanners can maximize or minimize the pebbly surface. Try all
            four rotations and see what looks best. (Rotation is also a partial remedy
            in scanning wrinkled and torn photographs.)

            2. Some scanner software has an "unsharp" or sharpening setting that is
            "On" as a default. Set it Off. Sharp/unsharp accentuates pebbly
            surfaces. Even on a smooth surface, Unsharp can generate unwanted
            noise. (If you need sharpening, unsharpening or descreening, apply them
            later in an image editing program, where you have some control over the
            magnitude of correction).

            Patty Fagan
            Boston

            >I'm trying to figure out how to get a decent scan from that really
            >coarse (and crappy) matte finish paper that was *so* populat in
            >the 1970s. When I scan at 300 dpi (as I do for all images), I
            >get little white blips where the light is eflecting on the
            >undulations in the paper. I did a rough count and came up with
            >72per inch horizontally -- in alternating rows
            >and 120 per inch vertically -- like so ...
          • Michael Bell
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
              Susan Farmer <sfarmer@...> writes:
              >I'm trying to figure out how to get a decent scan from that really
              >coarse (and crappy) matte finish paper that was *so* populat in
              >the 1970s. When I scan at 300 dpi (as I do for all images), I
              >get little white blips where the light is eflecting on the
              >undulations in the paper.

              In addition to Patty's suggestion for a 90 degree rotation, I would
              also suggest scanning the photo rotated 45 degrees on the scanner
              bed. I've had some luck with that.

              If you have access to a copy stand, with a lot of patience in
              adjusting the lights you should be able to reduce most of the
              reflections. A piece of non-glare glass over the photo will help
              too. You can either mount a digital camera on the copy stand or a
              traditional film camera and then scan the resulting negatives or
              prints. I've had a few photos that would just not scan well at
              all, but worked pretty well with a copy stand.

              good luck

              --
              Michael Bell
              MBell@...
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
                Patty,
                A great tip that I've never read before. Used smooth surface paper when we
                were printing our own BW pictures in a home darkroom and they scan easily.
                Sometimes the magazine setting works well for early school or department
                store color portraits.
                Elizabeth