Re: [genphoto] old film from the 30s

  • Pickard - Hungary
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2003
      Hi Pierre,

      I copied my 8 mm films a few years ago. Regretfully they were in terrible
      condition, having been mishandled for more than 30 years, but the fact that
      I can now see at least snippets from the past made it worth the effort.

      I managed to find a friend with a projector for this type of film, and he
      also had a transfer box - basically a sort of sideways periscope where you
      shone the projected film onto a screen, and pointed a video camera in from
      the other end of the box. I also projected the image against a screen, and
      a sheet, and video'd the image using a tripod. The results of all three
      were about the same, so I wouldn't bother hiring or buying a transfer
      device.

      I didn't have a sound track on my film, so tried to play some music in the
      background, but most of it was drowned out by the projector noise. You
      probably need to record over the top of that with a mixing device
      afterwards.

      After recording to an 8mm video format, I then replayed back, recording to
      VHS tape, but have kept the 8mm video too, for safety.

      I have managed to use a 'Dazzle' video transfer device to capture a few
      still from the film too.

      Good Luck

      Pickard Trepess,
      Nagykanizsa, Hungary

      > From: "Pierre Erville" <perville@...>

      > I am new to the group and looking for an inexpensive way to transfer old
      home video on what appears to me to be 9mm film (European, from the 1930s)
      in excellent condition, to videocassette/vcr format. Any help out there?