Music

  • HDMShort@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
      Greetings:

      I've heard that you can put music on photo CDs that will play while watching
      the CD.
      Does any one know if there is software out there that will handle this?
      Thank You and Happy New Year to all,
      Harry in California
    • Michael Bell
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2003
        HDMShort@... writes:
        >I've heard that you can put music on photo CDs that will play while watching
        >the CD.
        >Does any one know if there is software out there that will handle this?

        Apple's iPhoto has a feature so you can export a group of pictures as
        a Quicktime movie slide show and add music (MP3 or AIFF files). It
        is very easy and works well. You get a nice dissolve in between each
        picture and you can set how long you want the pictures to appear.
        Also of interest to genealogists, iPhoto has a nice book feature that
        allows you to place a selected group of pictures into a
        pre-configured layout. There are options for adding text. iPhoto
        only works with Mac OSX though.

        --
        Michael Bell
        MBell@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2003
          Coming January 7, Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition delivers exciting
          new ways to enjoy your photos, music, and home movies with Windows XP.
        • HDMShort@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2003
            Michael:
            Thanks for the information, however, I don't use a Mac.
            Happy New Year.
            Harry
          • Pickard - Hungary
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2003
              If your music files are computer based, rather than from a CD (e.g. in a
              format that can be seen with a file browser), it is relatively simple.
              Either write an HTML page to display the photos, and use the music files as
              background, or write an autorun file that plays the music then leaves the
              photo browser open for the users to look at them.

              Any sort of additional application would allow music to be used in the
              background too - e.g. MS PowerPoint where you can easily make a slide show,
              with different .mpg or .wav etc. files for each photo etc. You can make a
              self running PowerPoint show, so that the recipients don't need the software
              to see the show, it is self packaged.

              I would think that many other applications could do the same - try looking
              at ACDC (sorry, I don't have that program) for incorporation of sound clips
              or I have Irfan viewer (iview from irfan@...) that allows a
              plugin. I am sure there are many others

              Pickard Trepess
              Nagykanizsa, Hungary
            • Susan Farmer
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2003
                Where is everybody -- showed under? :-)

                What's the best (for the $$) photo quality printer? I know that the
                dye-subs are wonderful, but quite pricey. I want an inkjet that will
                do 8.5x11 paper as it will be used for other things as well.

                Thanks!
                Susan
                -----
                Susan Baker Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Genealogy/Images
              • Kay Hampshire
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 25, 2003
                  I have the HP 7350 - that I think is selling for 199.00 now.

                  It uses a color and black cartridge for day to day work and has the
                  ability to swap the black cartridge for a photo cartridge (additional
                  colors) for when I print color photos.

                  The key about this printer is the lasting quality of the ink has been
                  reported at 75 - 80 + years - when used on HP Premium Plus paper.

                  The prints are gorgeous and I wanted the ability to print scanned or
                  digital photos for archival purposes.

                  In addition - you can use the printer to 'read digital cards' so that
                  was one less piece of hardware on my desk.

                  For day to day printing (emails, etc that I am not mailing) I print on
                  econo-mode - and it is fast and cost effective.

                  My son and daughter-in-law purchased this as well after seeing the
                  quality of the prints.

                  Kay
                  What's the best (for the $$) photo quality printer? I know that the
                  dye-subs are wonderful, but quite pricey. I want an inkjet that will
                  do 8.5x11 paper as it will be used for other things as well.

                  Thanks!
                  Susan
                  -----
                  Susan Baker Farmer
                  sfarmer@...
                  http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Genealogy/Images

                  Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address,
                  use editor@...

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Susan Farmer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 10, 2003
                    I'm trying to figure out how to get a decent scan from that really
                    coarse (and crappy) matte finish paper that was *so* populat in
                    the 1970s. When I scan at 300 dpi (as I do for all images), I
                    get little white blips where the light is eflecting on the
                    undulations in the paper. I did a rough count and came up with
                    72per inch horizontally -- in alternating rows
                    and 120 per inch vertically -- like so ...

                    - - - - - - - -
                    - - - - - - -

                    My scanner (Umax) allows for descreen for magazine and newspaper --
                    and I can manually set the descreen values.

                    Anybody had any success with scanning this type of paper surface?

                    Thanks!
                    Susan
                    -----
                    Susan Baker Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Genealogy/Images
                  • Patty Fagan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
                      Two suggestions for rough surface photos:

                      1. Rotate the photo 90 degrees and scan again. The direction of the light
                      within some scanners can maximize or minimize the pebbly surface. Try all
                      four rotations and see what looks best. (Rotation is also a partial remedy
                      in scanning wrinkled and torn photographs.)

                      2. Some scanner software has an "unsharp" or sharpening setting that is
                      "On" as a default. Set it Off. Sharp/unsharp accentuates pebbly
                      surfaces. Even on a smooth surface, Unsharp can generate unwanted
                      noise. (If you need sharpening, unsharpening or descreening, apply them
                      later in an image editing program, where you have some control over the
                      magnitude of correction).

                      Patty Fagan
                      Boston

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
                        Susan Farmer <sfarmer@...> writes:
                        >I'm trying to figure out how to get a decent scan from that really
                        >coarse (and crappy) matte finish paper that was *so* populat in
                        >the 1970s. When I scan at 300 dpi (as I do for all images), I
                        >get little white blips where the light is eflecting on the
                        >undulations in the paper.

                        In addition to Patty's suggestion for a 90 degree rotation, I would
                        also suggest scanning the photo rotated 45 degrees on the scanner
                        bed. I've had some luck with that.

                        If you have access to a copy stand, with a lot of patience in
                        adjusting the lights you should be able to reduce most of the
                        reflections. A piece of non-glare glass over the photo will help
                        too. You can either mount a digital camera on the copy stand or a
                        traditional film camera and then scan the resulting negatives or
                        prints. I've had a few photos that would just not scan well at
                        all, but worked pretty well with a copy stand.

                        good luck

                        --
                        Michael Bell
                        MBell@...
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 12, 2003
                          Patty,
                          A great tip that I've never read before. Used smooth surface paper when we
                          were printing our own BW pictures in a home darkroom and they scan easily.
                          Sometimes the magazine setting works well for early school or department
                          store color portraits.
                          Elizabeth