Re: Storing CDs

  • ajmorrisdotcom <ajmorrisdotcom@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 17, 2002
      As they say, 'whatever works for you' ... Your system sounds overly
      complex for me -- I'd never know where to put the wedding-party photo
      of those gr-gr-aunt and uncle who were 2nd cousins to one another, and
      friends of a neighbor family some of whom later married into the
      family -- OK that's hypothetical ... but it happens. I don't want to
      bore in-laws with slideshows of all kindred, but select a 'best of'
      for them, and include pics from my wife's family on the same CD, while
      my relatives get more detailed but narrower 'slice' from the available
      selections.

      My 'master' CDs have just the highest resolution scan (usually 300
      d.p.i. unless it's a really 'special' photo that I scan at 600). Since
      I use HTML to display them the browser adjusts the view size, so I
      rarely produce lower resolution versions -- usually only for email. I
      keep two copies of each master, and send three more to different
      family members.

      Andrew J. Morris
      http://www.ajmorris.com/

      --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "E.Rodier" <cerear@t...> wrote:
      > Andrew, are you keeping just one copy of each digital picture and
      resizing
      > before using each one?

    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 17, 2002
        Exactly right to say 'whatever works' because printed sets of picture
        collections are my goal. 300-600 dpi images usually have to be printed one
        page at a time unless the originals are small snapshots. For your
        hypothetical example, I'd put a wedding party photo with the groom's family.
        Slide slows and lengthy genealogy scrapbooks sorted by date are more for my
        own reference than display to others.

        Most of my e-mail contacts are interested in printing pictures in family
        book projects or charts, not just collecting image files. Photo charts with
        three pictures per person are very interesting displays at local meetings.
        More DVDs made today. One brand does not seem to be as good as others,
        especially near the outer edge. Useful capacity is well below the 4.7 GB
        marked.
        Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2002
          The small email images I was thinking of are the unidentified ones I
          send to distant relations, asking if they know anything about them ...
          most of the people who want print copies get a CD full of images, it's
          easier than email when sending a lot.

          Andrew J. Morris
          Photohistory for Genealogists
          http://www.ajmorris.com/roots/photo/photo.htm